Kicking the Tires - Ramblings about various Linux Distributions

KaOS is out with a Plasma 5.26 teaser.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/kaos-test/files/iso/KaOS-2022.09.16-x86_64.iso

SHA256SUM:

65f25c3e0b91d0d33c48d3fea2663b17b20ba0e5c0b4e3e892e339e3616a3730  KaOS-2022.09.16-x86_64.iso

I couldn’t get it to run for more that a few minutes.

1 Like

The KDE trials and tribulations continue. In general I have never really understood why everyone’s getting moist in the knickers with Fedora. Yes, I know all about hw support et all, and pushing the Linux community further etc etc, but all their spins are just basic install, with a standard DE on top. Like installing vanilla XFCE in Arch. They hardly ever add anything (except for the Fedora Multiwriter) and you’d still have to use RPMFusion and COPR to get a decent system. AUR or PPA anyone? Their KDE is thus bloated and lazy, it is not on 5.26, no Snapper or so ootb (is handy with a beta…). Doesn’t add anything to the equation. Moving on.

4 Likes

Lately I read an interesting opinion about Garuda: it might not be the type of distro we OFC’s like, but perhaps the rest of the world does and as such it is taking Linux further. So I took a step back and installed KDE Minimal, which they state doesn’t get any support (that is saved for the Sweet colored Gamer editions I guess). And yes, of course it worked very well and minimal. Sane btrfs options, Zen kernel, non-bloated Plasma, Snapper ootb, easy way to add or remove repo’s like the Chaotic AUR, additional tools that add something, I could stay here. Thing is that in de-fluffing it that much it is very much like Endeavour OS (although their KDE is a bit lazy as well). With a minimal setup like this not a lot can go wrong; it is all pretty easy to maintain and proven stuff. Mind you: I don’t do gaming. Better than expected.

5 Likes

On a roll @Peppe

I didn’t even review the beautiful failures SparkyLinux, that completely faltered on btrfs and OpenSuse Leap, that I tried to ‘force’ Plasma 5.25 onto (so much for following the OpenSuse documentation on that). Borked! Ezarcher worked great of course, but I am still not in the rolling Arch mood again. I guess that’s why I am on Tumbleweed again lol :rofl:

3 Likes

Well that sux after installing it !

Well, it keeps me off the streets and the girls are thus safe as well :rofl:

4 Likes

lol, you bet mate !

They wont fall under your charm yet ! lol

1 Like

The silver haired sweettalker of Saigon! Hahahhahhhaha

3 Likes

Lol, a nice one there @Peppe

1 Like

I thought Fedora KDE was pretty minimal @Peppe. Maybe that has changed with 36. They’re in the forefront when it comes to Wayland integration as default.

I like Ezarch for the Arch branding. Complete OOTB, give or take a few extra apps. I always toss the Chaotic-AUR on top.

1 Like

Garuda’s KDE Lite is a hidden gem. Minimal for sure with a big, bright & shiney welcome app. The services on their web portal are very nice.

3 Likes

Well Fedora still throws in the PIM stuff and Libreoffice etc. Is ok, you can start working straight away, not my cup of tea tbh. With Ezarch I follow eznix’s templates and make my own iso. Works like a charm.

1 Like

Yes I was positively surprised by it (but tried Garuda only a year ago or so, what they call Dragonized). So they’re doing great. Also hardly any theming in garuda style. Their welcome app, with applications to install is great. Same level as the MX software store imho. Not what I’d use, but hey even Ungoodled Chromium (and not as a Flatpak). Good stuff.

1 Like

You bet @Peppe … they’re doing alot of things over @ Garuda. It’s not for everyone, but they’re young & hungry. My experience with the forum has been competant, inviting and friendly. If I remember correctly, they won’t accept donations directly but suggest you contribute to their hosting supporters.

3 Likes

The Garuda Lite is very nice. Mild theme, not like their flagship gaudy spin.
First boot it updates the mirror list for the fastest one to the user.
Asks to install NVIDIA drivers if one has a NVIDIA card. (even installed the correct driver)
Setup Assistant offers to install additional software.

All in a terminal window so the user can scroll back and see what was done.

The new Fedora wall looks nice.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s cool, the dark variant is even better.

Kind of Mario looking.

1 Like

Turns out it was (is) the video card in the main machine. Testing with multiple spins and video cards on the test setup went smoothly. All spins of plasma booted and installed without error on four monitors.

2 Likes