Kicking the Tires - Ramblings about various Linux Distributions

Interesting, jgmenu is superior to the Openbox menu. It will have both?

Yes, like the first.

This is the mouse binding. Left-click is the openbox menu.

2 Likes

Void with openbox

If you want to start from a fairly minimal CLI and build your own -

Void Minimal

NetworkManager is still included so you can use nmtui to connect to wireless - so much more convenient.

Last uploads for a while. Summer vacation life stuff coming around the bend.

4 Likes

Thx for the hard work @PackRat

1 Like

you are the voidman :slightly_smiling_face:
i just installed your last void iso openbox
looks good
you have removed alsa-tools niccce
and nmap pulseaudio and kitty terminal by default very nice
i will say this is much better
everything works
except when I press gparted then no shit happens
but know well why
i like it alot
Thanks alot for this iso
i like to test such things

6 Likes

Good job on the menus.

1 Like

Yes, kitty made the cut this time. MOD+Shift+Enter should be the binding. If you have multimedia keys, the volume controls should be working.

2 Likes

i like kitty terminal on arch i have alacritty
yes i have multimedia keys
and they work perfectly
everything plays as it should
nice job @PackRat

3 Likes

As stated elsewhere: this was a KDE weekend. The one left for me is KaoS, but I’ll need a working rig this week when I get home. After ezarcher-kde of yesterday, today was the day for:

First came PeuxOS. There are some interesting concepts going on in there (see the layout switcher, fish as shell, autosnap on btrfs, a lot of AV applications, the welcome app etc). What I didn’t like: snapd was automatically activated and there were a number of less known applicatiions included (bluemail, clamav, firejail). The cohesive styling is undermined a bit by the hodgepodge of applications.

4 Likes

Number two was the new darling of YT, xerolinux. Techzero, the dev, has some strong opinions and puts those in his spin. Ootb: xfs as default, lots of comprehensive tooling, different rices completely ready to use, it is really very well made. Upon first install you end up with a bare system, and after that you can start adding anything you like. The link to Arco gets clear there because i found the software selection tool (although fantastic in its completeness) overwhelming. Let alone for a new user. Nevertheless a big step up from PeuxOS. Something to keep following.

4 Likes

Number 3 surprised me in a positive way. Whereas Xerolinux offers you perhaps too much choice, EndeavourOS gets you up and running very quickly, has a lot of own tooling available (their mirror update frontend is great) but makes it very easy to enable or disable what you want, without overdoing it. If they’d provided a one-click to install KDE minimal I could easily live there. I’ve been following EOS for some time and they keep improving. The first KDE spin was a bit messy, this one is really good, well styled and just works. Solid.

4 Likes

Yes, and although this sounds as a self-fulfilling prophecy, ArchLabs takes the crown for me. But of course that is related to my experience with it. It is one of the very few spins that enable a minimal install, that works.( I only know KDE Neon and Suse TW provide it as well). Second: the easy way to bypass grub to boot into your system and the big choice of filesystems, great mirroring also. Of course this applies to any AL DE or WM, but still it is worth mentioning. Only small item: .xprofile contains a number of items that are covered in KDE as well (volumeicon, network applet) so they’ll end up in your panel twice. Oh yes: AL icons are the only ones in KDE distros (and I’ve almost tried them all) that display the Nextcloud icon correctly. great stuff!

4 Likes

On a roll @peppe !

2 Likes

That’s the rainy season for ya, @altman ! Nothing better to do on Sunday :rofl:

2 Likes

lol, just woke up 1/2 an hre ago ( if not more), had breakfast , check some stuff on the web. lol

1 Like

Had to give it a go. A really independent distro, KaOS. The concept is nice. some was really good, some was a bit flaky. Scrot 1 shows you a number of the standard screens, ootb styling (terrible icons btw, but hey, each one his own), Croeso (let’s call it the welcome center/control screen) and Octopi (basically synaptic on pacman). Interesting choice. Some rough edges, as you can see in scrot 2: the theming has been changed to Breeze dark, but a number of the buttons remain white, with white text. Scrot 3 is after some of my adjustments, in Plasma it’s easy enough to change. For lacking software Flatpaks can be installed, but a lot of the regular stuff is available in the repo’s, including the 5.19 kernel. Looking in some of the proposed packages you’ll find a lot of new QT software. But once neofetch wasn’t available (you should look in KDE’s infocenter or Stacer (which comes pre-installed) and I had to resort to a bit more flatpak’s I wiped the slate. Nice, but it’ll be difficult for them to hold their space. Arch, Fedora and OpenSuse have it all and more easily accessible. Applaud the effort though, at least a different approach and, on the QT side, well executed.
EDIT: btw, the error you see in scrot 2 is one of those buggy KDE implementations; has nothing to do with KaOS.

5 Likes

Nicee @Peppe

1 Like