Kicking the Tires - Ramblings about various Linux Distributions

Definition of rambling - proceeding without a specific goal, purpose, or direction.
Yeah, that fits. Stumbling my way through in a never ending search for knowledge.

Come one; come all. Share what you’ve found.

1 Like

Slide Linux
Openbox on Debian. Also a KDE version. A CBPP respin.

Runs live from thumbdrive. Couldn’t figure out root password, so I couldn’t install neofetch. Copied the neofetch script and the neofetch config dir to put in .config; and it ran fine:)

Haven’t seen rEFind in a while.

2 Likes

Venom Linux

Customize your system with Venom Linux, a lightweight source based distro for advanced Linux users targeting x86_64 machines.

https://venomlinux.org/

• Minimal as possible
  • Highly customizable
  • No systemd (elogind or any part from it) (SysV)
  • Centered Around smaller software
  • Community Driven

I really like this one. Downsides are a single developer = single point of failure. Building LibreOffice from source would take a while;)

1 Like

Screenshot_2022-05-01_17-59-36

I’d forgotten how much I like using mc. I’ll have to enable nonfree and testing…

2 Likes

Going to be a while. Already been almost 40 min.

2 Likes

Alter Linux

Xfce, Plasma, Lxde, Gnome, Cinnamon, i3wm

2 Likes

Building MassOS ~7 Hours

About 2 hours in and stage two.

It never did complete, one error after another. Got bored and walked away.

2 Likes

Neptune Linux - MX Linux cross pollinate using MX NVIDIA installer:

Sparky Linux - MX Linux cross pollinate:

1 Like

Anarchy Installer

https://anarchyinstaller.gitlab.io/

The prefab desktops are well configured; more than the stock issue.

3 Likes

Haven’t seen those buuf icons for a long time.

2 Likes

The theme and Icons are my doing; I liked the look of them. Maybe a favorite I’ve done. Really like that scrot.

1 Like

The weirder the better? CrawFishOS - Debian for Asus C201p, with broadcom wifi support (PrawnOS fork) on my old Chromebook.

4 Likes

Venom Update:

Venom Linux completed it’s update in a little over 5 hours. Gave plenty of time to think about source based distros.

What makes one decide to use a source-based distribution over a more traditional binary distribution. I did some searching on the subject and the biggest benefit is, Speed. When you compile an application specifically for your hardware and with correct compiler flags, it should execute faster than an application that was compiled with more generic compiler flags to cover wide range of processor architectures. How much faster?

On strong hardware I don’t think there will be much gain. I could see on weak hardware optimizations could matter. But on weak hardware it might take days to compile.

Also is the issue of thousands of computers doing the same work that a binary distro completes on one machine, and shares.

I’ll say this for Venom, it’s blazingly fast on my HP Z440 Workstation - Xeon E5-1620 V3 3.5GHz (8), 32GB DDR4. Well out performing other distros I’ve run on it.

edit: I’m staying away from the religious/political side of the issue.

1 Like

Reminds me of my old stuff on Play Store.

3 Likes

You sure know how to keep yourself busy.

6 Likes

The one I am running right now. Templates from @eznix got me started (and his videos on how to add stuff to the iso). All that enabled me to make a custom iso pretty easily with pipewire,wayland, timeeshift autosnap on btrfs and, most importantly, my own applications like Joplin, Ventoy, Mintstick, Brave, Tixati etc etc. The power of sharing, kudo’s to eznix!

5 Likes

Thank you Peppe for the kind words. I am always happy to hear when someone uses my project and has a good experience. Arch on, brother! :smiley:

ISOs are getting uploaded, stay tuned!

6 Likes

How the hell did you get Anarchy to install? I have tried many times and all fail. I gave up on it two years ago, I wonder if they finally fixed shit.

Yes, both the finalized iso (which is a very clean Arch install, with a few added tools and applications) as well as the templates work great. I am now adding even fonts and icons, as shown in your videos. Fully into the iso making. And soon to apply it to a Cinnamon spin also. Learned a lot and enjoy it thoroughly. Thanks!

1 Like

The current version, 1.3.4 worked well for me, as did the 1.3.3 version.
Their Xfce version in particular is very well configured. Stuff like, ‘Open root Thunar’ here on right-click, etc.

1 Like