ArchLabs Linux

Keyboard "mute" indicator with jack

I originally posted this on reddit but I figured here might be a better place to ask:

I recently switched to jack2 on my Thinkpad x230. Jack2 is now launched at startup and pulseaudio outputs everything into a Jack Sink (configured using Cadence, as recommended) and I can still control system audio using my volume keys. What happended however is that I lost the feedback when muting; the volume indicator icon reacts just fine and everything is working, but the light inside the button on the keyboard does not light up anymore. It does light up when I mute the “built in analog stereo” in pavucontroller, but this is not the correct output channel anymore.

What exactly is missing here? I’m guessing it has something to do with the way pulseaudio is routed now but I don’t know where to look. Thanks!

Hmm, very strange indeed, can you set mute/unmute keybinds to call a script that does both at once? It’s incredibly hacky but it should be able to do what you want.

That could be a solution. How does the LED get controlled in the first place?

Seems the kernel handles that and a quick google search of “arch mute led” yields lots of recent posts regarding this, a fix is out there and we’ll probably see at some point this year. Otherwise if you need it to work apparently the LTS kernel works.