June 2020 Screenshot Thread

I have been meaning to test out Alpine.

It’s a complete bar-steward to install but well worth it in the end. The package manager makes pacman look slow as ****.

1 Like

That alone is worth it.

1 Like

We rarely see Alpine distro here, nice @anon42040838

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s easy to turn my webcam on programmatically when disabled by the keyboard shortcut:

$ v4l2-ctl --list-devices
Cannot open device /dev/video0, exiting.

Several times I was about to install it… As it’s claimed as server-oriented: does it look well on desktop?

I will be honest, it is a bit hacky. Definitely more suited to dwm or similar. The desktop packages were recently moved to the community repositories.

But on the up side Drew DeVault is one of the developers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly what I was going to say.

@anon42040838 what package manager do they use? Is it compatible on Arch?
I find Pamac to be alot of fun too, and as long as you aren’t compiling kernels on it, it runs fine 96% of the time.

Nice.

ThinkShutter is awesome, I wish it was standard. They have a patent on that?

That’s how I do it.

Back on topic -

2020-06-05-09-04-16.png

6 Likes

Nice @PackRat

1 Like

They use apk.

No.

I don’t think so. My E485 doesn’t have one though, sadly.

1 Like

20200606-20h54m53s-grim.png

Had to be done…

5 Likes

Nice again @anon42040838

If python-i3ipc and nlohmann-json packages for Alpine exist, I want to check it, too.

https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/testing/x86_64/nlohmann-json

No python-i3ipc but APKBUILDs are almost identical to PKGBUILDs so a port is very simple.

For testing I can just pip install. Alright, I’ll grab a beer and give it a test drive. :slight_smile:

[edit] On Void my problem with the 5.6 kernel, which requires the charger plugged in during boot, does not exist. I’m curious if it’s related to systemd.

Here’s an APKBUILD so you don’t have to:

# Maintainer: Head_on_a_Stick <madeupemail@gmail.com>

_name=i3ipc-python
pkgname=python-i3ipc
pkgver=2.2.1
pkgrel=0
pkgdesc="An improved Python library to control i3wm"
url="https://github.com/altdesktop/${_name}"
arch="x86_64"
license="BSD"
depends="python3 py3-xlib"
makedepends="py3-setuptools"
source="${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz::https://github.com/altdesktop/${_name}/archive/v${pkgver}.tar.gz"
builddir="$srcdir/"

build() {
   cd "${_name}-${pkgver}"
   python3 setup.py build
}

package() {
   cd "${_name}-${pkgver}"
   python3 setup.py install --root="${pkgdir}" --optimize=1 --skip-build
   install -Dm755 -t "${pkgdir}/usr/share/doc/${pkgname}/examples" examples/*.py
   install -Dm644 -t "${pkgdir}/usr/share/licenses/${pkgname}" LICENSE
}
sha512sums="edbcec3cd0da53815dba22d696a17ddf909c39db771cf234befaa3130f8b56003ccc70eb28a07b286ab31c2cbb9d5893caf42b01ed20d61efdcd6359afbecc18  python-i3ipc-2.2.1.tar.gz"

^ Copy that to it’s own directory and run abuild -r to build the package (make sure your user is in the abuild group) then use

apk add ~/packages/builds/x86_64/python-i3ipc-2.2.1-r0.apk
3 Likes

Thanks! But you are at least 2 days ahead of me. I’ve only downloaded the installer so far. I think I’ll first try it on my testing laptop. Later I’ll have to learn how to use the latest kernel.

1 Like

6 Likes

Nicee @Dobbie03

2 Likes