Is there a want for Community Editions?

Are there any users out there wanting to create their own custom spins?

• Yes
  • No
  • Waste of time

0 voters

I’ll run this for a couple of months and if we get a positive result I’ll open a category especially for this.

1 Like

Yes, if it won’t be a burden for devs :+1:

1 Like

As in just different DE’s?

Due to the nature of Arch, I would fore go the community editions idea. Adding additional DE’s as a community spin, would really make us no different than other derivatives of Arch. However, I have seen one instance where this could be useful. A community spin that addresses i686 platform, which is often left out due to its age. But, I am not sure how well this would work, with the ever growing demand on ram usage for many packages.

https://archlinux32.org/

2 Likes

@Addy: This wouldn’t be something the Devs look after. Custom spins are nomally produced by the community.

@TimApple: Pretty much, but considering we already include i3, BSPWM, Awesome and XFCE in the welcome script they would need to be something different to that.

@AvnSgt: Agreed, this just to gauge what the want is of the community. Personally I don’t see a need of a community spin. If you want a new enviroment, just install it on your current setup, seems like a waste of time to install a whole distro for just awesomewm.

As i think of it, what other one would you want…Enlightenment or JWM…Actually I really like JWM… but again, they could just be added as a choice in the hello script.

1 Like

Nate and I have discussed this but I don’t think this will happen.

I was thinking if this happened, a dwm spin. Gnome-Shell and Plasma spins too. Though again, I don’t see the point of them myself.

1 Like

For me, ArchLabs is perfect: bare|simple|i3
I ‘usually’ install arch ‘by hand’ and add what I want. ArchLabs offers what I want, so that’s a great match. The installer script offers me the packages I usually install, and I can pick how simple I want the system to be.

A community edition might be cool from a distro point of view, but for me personally, I don’t need/want it.

1 Like

Valid points.

Also glad to know we are on the right track :slight_smile:

That’s a fine idea to be honest. Generally I would be glad to do something like this, part of it is that I mess with my system a lot on my free time, so everyone who does the same thing could like maintain his own spin.

1 Like

Yup, there would be an expectation to support your spin and stick with the default colours/logos etc of ArchLabs :smiley:

1 Like

For me the Community editions of every Linux distro is like the “secret gem” of the distro. It’s not for everyone but for the people who really dig something very much. Although AL by default are kinda very easy to customize and get used to, maybe some community editions would do some further good. If you like enjoy i3 but don’t like the default AL i3, a community edition that is “specifically optimized” for i3 would be perfect.

3 Likes

Totally agree and people are more than welcome to make these. Just as long as we don’t get overloaded with spins no one maintains :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I think that other distro’s tend to “adopt” or remove orphaned spins. If this becomes a thing, best thing would be to, pick only a hand full of the community editions and give them a ‘AL approvement’ seal and have like 2-3 of them around.

Like pick only one alternative spin for OpenBox and i3 etc instead of every one of them.

I know that it’s all hypothetical but I’m just throwing idea in every direction I can.

3 Likes

I love ideas. Lets see how the poll turns out and the demand.

1 Like

Sure! You could make Archlabs i3 Black Metal Edition :smile:

Ok, just kidding.
You made a really great job with i3wm-themer. Maybe You could use it as a material for a community spins :+1:

2 Likes

Hmmm community spin sounds interesting. But, if you have too much in the distro, ie DE, systems that are low on resources may get swamped. Perhaps have it where if someone chooses a different spin, they can download to their systems without a big footprint what they want without dealing with extra ‘baggage’ that has to be dealt with.

(I’ve tried a million times to make a Pure Satanic Black Metal theme for i3 but I fail every time, no good BM wallpapers out there :’( )