InstantOS

I really like the desktop environment on this one: reminds me somewhat of i3, but also having mouse control with is always a good thing for me.
https://instantos.github.io

EDIT: A faster download link: https://osdn.net/projects/instantos/downloads/72960/instantos_1.0.iso

The only downside I could see is that it uses Manjaro as a base rather than just pure Arch, and that always rubs me the wrong way…

6 Likes

:beers:

2 Likes

InstantWM looks interesting. Might have to give that a spin.

Sounds interesting. I’ll take a look.

It’s dwm with a ton of patches and additions. Would be nice if they actually mentioned it somewhere and gave credit instead of needing to read the license.

3 Likes

It looks interesting but I’m finding the name deeply ironic — the images are hosted on SourceForge and it’s taking hours to download them even with a 70Mb connection…

1h 55m left — 993MB of 1.4GB (65.0kB/sec)
2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Wayland/Xorg Discussion

Looks very nice, i just wonder how suckless it remains after so many patched stuff… Anyway, it looks kinda cool…

According to the suckless section of their website:

" instantOS is not a suckless distro. instantWM, intantLOCK and instantMENU started out as suckless forks, but contain over 40% original code and go into different directions. For instance, programs that are under 40kb should not put storage at such a high priority. Stability, features and speed are more important. You could install all instantOS packages and still need less storage than if you installed a single kde package."

2 Likes

Doesn’t that seem a little disingenuous? I mean, we all know that installing just one KDE package would include others. So I don’t think that statement should even be included. But I get the point they are making.

I suspect a better way to present that would be something like… We aim to include as many packages as possible while keeping the philosophy of reducing dependencies.

1 Like

Apologies to the OP for the somewhat derailed topic, I’ve split the wayland/x discussion to a separate topic.

1 Like

Yes, sorry OP, got a bit distracted there.

Finally downloaded the ISO after about five hours (not an exaggeration) and I have to say that I’m a little disappointed — it’s very sluggish running in a VM and rather buggy. I tried to install it to see if it ran any better there but the installer wouldn’t run because it said I wasn’t connected even though I was. And it uses oh-my-zsh, which I really don’t like at all. On the up side the memory usage is good, it undercuts SharpBang by ~15-20MiB.

Anyway, screenshot here:

Hello, creator of instantOS here.
Multiple people have voiced their concerns about it being based on Manjaro, that’s why the next build will be based on Arch.
Manjaro also seems to have issues with graphics drivers when not using the official desktop environments. (some NVIDIA cards won’t even boot the ISO). The sluggishness is caused by the compositor (picom) which absolutely ruins performance when running without graphics drivers (you can also turn it off).
The good news is, that the graphics issues have already been solved on the Arch version, but it will take some time until it can be released.
The arch version will also feature a custom installer instead of Calamares which refuses to run with less than 1gb ram, although the distro can go lower than that (and has the internet issue which I have never run into)
The next build will also be uploaded to GitHub releases and OSDN which seem much faster. Maybe Sourceforge is throttling smaller projects, who knows…

And the ram usage on the live session is about twice as high as on an installed version, so in reality you would see about 130-150Mb, not 326Mb

@Head_on_a_Stick On my machines and VMs I didn’t discover any obvious bugs, would you mind describing the ones you were experiencing?

4 Likes

Keep it on @paperbenni .

Thx for the info here.

1 Like

I couldn’t try it yet but some fellows here already did, and i’m sure they got something to share…
You can be sure that we aplaud your effort man, thanks for the info and keep up with the great work! :metal:
Ps: i’l give it a try asap!

1 Like

The installer refused to work because it said I wasn’t connected even though I was, xterm can’t display the fancy powerline symbols in the zsh prompt, the “info” menu entry didn’t work until I installed neofetch manually (and even then it didn’t scroll the text until I pressed <return> or the space bar, at which point the ascii logo was obliterated line-by-line), every time I launched something from the menu at the top-left corner I received a message saying that I should run applications from the menu at the top-left corner and I think there were a few other niggles as well. I’ll have a look again when I have a moment and see if I can make some proper bug reports for you.

Surprisingly welcoming for an Arch-ish forum :grinning:
The new build is now out and based on pure Arch. It’s also hosted on GitHub instead of Sourceforge:
https://github.com/instantOS/instantOS/releases/download/beta2/instantos_beta_2.iso
@Head_on_a_Stick That was very helpful, all things you mentioned should now be fixed.

2 Likes