Installing Archlabs systemd-boot?

Just ran Archlabs installer just have one question systemd-boot what is this I have never seen this before,
I want to keep the Arch grub meaning I do not wish to install any boot loader and just run sudo update-grub to pickup Archlabs after the install.

By the way I like your installer and the Mount Partition is easy to understand.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-boot

1 Like

After everything I’ve read about StstenD vs Grub I stick with Grub.

1 Like

Thanks for the link I just need to get my head around this, is there a reason why Archlabs has no grub option. I have installed Debian many times and they use grub with their systemd installer.
I don’t care for the systemd argument make’s no different’s to me, if its sysvinit ,runit or systemd.
Just asking that’s all.

There is a grub option, it’s what I use.

2 Likes

@SqdnGunny
Sorry don’t know what I was on about I will just stick with Arch for now.

systemd-boot is the standard bootloader for Archlinux and by extension ArchLabs. Personally I prefer it to grub and other offerings (other than efistub boot). It can handle multi-boot, finds other bootable systems automatically, and is configured automatically with each update (no need to run grub-update manually).

Our installer lets you pick from most of the available options for bootloaders so if something is missing please let me know.

There is currently no way to avoid installing one of the bootloaders, if you want multiple systems setup then pick a bootloader and don’t wipe your boot partition, it will find them. Otherwise install AL first then overwrite our bootloader with one from another install.

4 Likes

Only if the other distributions store their kernel & initramfs images on the EFI system partition, which isn’t very common. Automatic detection & configuration is only really offered for Windows.

No, systemd-boot doesn’t configure itself automatically. There is no need to update the bootloader configuration for either systemd-boot or GRUB in Arch because the kernel & initramfs images aren’t numbered. For multi-booting there is no grub-mkconfig equivalent for systemd-boot so any other menu entries have to be created and updated manually (except for Windows).

You can reset the boot order after installing ArchLabs and put GRUB back at the top with the efibootmgr command. The systemd-boot entry can be deleted if you don’t want it.

2 Likes

Thanks to you and everyone for your relies, I have now learnt more about Linux. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like