Installer ends in monitor turning off

Hello, I hope you don’t mind me asking with another problem.
I switched to a vega 64 and now my monitors turn off when I try to start the archlabs installer. After selecting ‘ArchLabs Linux x86_64’ I come to the point when it says triggering events, a cpl of more lines and then the monitor turns off. Tried it with all 3 attached and then with only 1 monitor connected.
Result is the same, the turned off monitor. It happens with both, uefi and legacy.
Any ideas?

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59755

So it’s a lost cause right now?

Looks like it might be fixed for kernel 4.20-rc4:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107690

Have you tried the LTS kernel?

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux-lts/

I can boot and install arch just fine(4.20 kernel), but as I’d install what’s used with AL anyways I thought I’d save some time and work and install AL.
But without getting the installer to work I’m a bit lost.
Can I somehow use another kernel with the installer?
Sorry, I’m not intentionally stupid. :slight_smile:

Give some info on the hardware, graphic drivers . Might help somehow.

inxi -G or other outputs from terminal.

I’m not sure but you could certainly install a standard system with the installer then chroot in afterwards and change the kernel.

If the main system partition is on /dev/sda1 (for example), then

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
arch-chroot /mnt
pacman -Syu linux-lts
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
exit
reboot

(If /boot is on a separate partition then you will have to mount that as well before running arch-chroot.)

Tbh I have no idea what drivers the installer is using. Whatever’s happening between uevents and turning off my screens is happening too quickly that I could see it.
Hardware is:

• MSI x370 gaming pro carbon
  • ryzen 7 1700
  • 16gig trident-z rgb
  • Asus strix vega 64

here’s inxi from my arch install:
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Vega 10 XL/XT [Radeon RX Vega 56/64] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.3 driver: amdgpu unloaded: modesetting
resolution:
OpenGL:
renderer: Radeon RX Vega (VEGA10 DRM 3.27.0 4.20.0-arch1-1-ARCH LLVM 7.0.0)
v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.1

@Head_on_a_Stick
If I got you right, I’d have to install archlabs for that though, right? The Archlabs installer is not even showing.

Ah well, that won’t work then. Sorry.

Wonder if you ll have to either reinstall or your iso disk is corrupted, never know.

With my current setup there is no installer and I therefor cannot install archlabs at all right now. :slight_smile:
what does work is the regular arch linux with the 4.20 kernel.
I have used nvidia for the last I-don’t-know-how-many-years, to avoid removing everything nvidia related and my lack of knowledge regarding this, I wanted to set up everything new.
I guess I have to install AL with a different GPU then, remove everything nvidia related once archlabs is installed, switch gpu back to the vega and install amdgpu drivers?
I had some hope that I could maybe boot with arch linux, mount the archlabs iso and install archlabs while having the archlinux iso booted.

Hi guys,

There is a nice guide where it is explained how to rebuild an ArchLabs-installer iso, it 's pretty straight forward to follow :
https://bitbucket.org/archlabslinux/iso/src/64d9a2f92715?at=master
It is what I did because I was in the same trouble as you’re right now (same graphic card) and it worked great even in a virtual machine.

I advice you to make a backup before the installation of the new iso just in case because I had a problem with os-prober ( may be it is coming from my hardware ssd/nvme0 ) it erased all my ESP partition. It wasn’t that bad for me because I had a backup from the day before but it could have been worst .
That doesn’t mean you 'll encounter the same situation but I thought that it could be nice to warn you .

Good luck :wink:

First of all: thanks for your efforts, guys. Really appreciate it.

Just that I get a basic idea, with this method I create my own installer iso with the most up to date packages and therefor with the 4.20 kernel, did I get that right?

Yes you get that right, sorry I didn’t tell it but yeah you 'll have an iso with the last packages so indeed a new kernel without that blocking bug .

Might be my excitement speaking here, but that sounds awesome!
I’m on it and will give it a try.
Thanks again!

Edit: that just worked. :slight_smile:

Glad it helped you mate .
:slight_smile: