I'm new Why should I switch to archlabs?

So im currently on manjaro I quite like where I am at but im open to try new things and this looks like some tasty shit! So Why do you guys use archlabs over the alternatives?

Hello @FennecTECH and welcome to the forum.

If you like manjaro and haven’t had issues then I would say stick with that. If you prefer to dive deeper and modify the system to suit you then switch to arch. These days AL is really just an installer with a few (mildly) customized sessions and options but these can easily be setup elsewhere. We also don’t curate arch packages or updates which imo leads to less breakages compared to something like manjaro.

At this point I use it because it’s very close to stock arch and it’s already installed (migrating is a PITA)

4 Likes

oh extensive modifications here too! So what your saying is wait to use archlabs for the next time ive got to nuke and pave? Do you guys have anything like the manjaro settings manager? I use manjaro primarily because of the ease of use and OOBE is pretty sane. But lots of people say there is shady stuff going on and I’m wondering if there is anything to the accusations.

Manjaro is not shady by any means, they put out a good distro overall and the accusations are usually from folks who don’t actually know that much.

Re settings manager: Nope, a terminal and the arch wiki will be your primary means of changing system config, if you’re not comfortable with that kind of thing AL isn’t a good option. I’m not gonna lie and say it’s easy to use but you will know exactly what you’ve done and how to reverse it, as well as a better understanding of the system overall.

Re nuking: You shouldn’t really have to do this often once you’re happy with a system and have other things to do, I’ve been on the same install for over 3 years. If you feel the urge to look at the grass on the other side of the fence then maybe something with your current setup is not satisfactory. In which case I definitely suggest something along the lines of AL, it worked for me.

2 Likes

Ive been through an arch setup in the past and managed to get it working As well as managing to get manjaro booting on a hp stream 7 tablet! (32 bit uefi + 64 bit CPU is painful) plus gettting WIFI on an SDIO bus working too

1 Like

I didn’t mean to sound like I was questioning your intelligence or ability, just laying out the way I see the situation so my apologies.

Thats quite alright :slight_smile:

1 Like

You look 10" longer saying “btw i use archlabs” > the other in question

@FennecTECH if iarch manual nstallation pain is something you prefer to avoid AL is a good option (as @natemaia said) other decent options are archbang!, Calam-Arch-Installer , and zen_installer…

The arch comunity is also rather hostile and the mods are routhless!

1 Like

Pretty true, !

Well some people here are also members of the Arch community and in my experience that community is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable around, they just have a very low tolerance for help vampires. And yes, the moderators do an outstanding job :grin:

See this blog post from Xyne (a forum moderator and Trusted User) for a good explanation of the Arch community:

https://xyne.archlinux.ca/notes/arch/ethos.html

And in respect of Arch itself I would strongly recommend following the official guide at least once because it also teaches you how to recover Arch-based systems from the most egregious b0rkage.

4 Likes

The result is an incredible resource for troubleshooting so long as you dont have to interact with it!

I only come to the forums for help when I’m truly and utterly stumped and google has gotten me nowhere! or when i am done trying to make heads or tales of a comfig file that is making my brain catch fire Sometimes a second pair of eyes is all you need to solve a problem nicely Not all members of the arch community are that hostile most of them are great in fact!

1 Like

I have found the Arch forums to be a rather brutal place (not personally but from what I have witnessed). I think a lot of the times they forgo the niceties and just get on with business. They also don’t suffer fools and people who won’t help themselves first.

I’m with HoaS when he says you need to at least try an do one Vanilla Arch install :smiley:

My recommendation is this, if your current install is running fine and you have no real reason to move to AL. Stay where you are but keep a AL USB stick handy just in case you have a catastrophic failure and you need to start from scratch.

Whatever you choose, we don’t care what you use we just welcome the company :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello @FennecTECH and welcome to the forum.
I am sure you have the possibility/knowledge to try AL and evaluate if you’re keen to switch from Manjaro.
Please let me outline that we don’t brag_about_AL/criticise_others_than_AL .
We’re more happy sharing knowledge and friendship with anyone using any O.S.
Namaste

3 Likes

I echo the sentiment others presented here. Nothing wrong with Manjaro. In fact it’s offered on pine phone. https://www.pine64.org/2020/08/31/pinephone-manjaro-community-edition/

I started on Manjaro but move to Archlabs and Arch because my system has weak sauce.

@leo00 one of my systems doesn’t have weak sauce, but the taste seems a tad ‘off’. Perhaps it hasn’t mellowed adequately??!?

My system is old and I could not upgrade it to give it more juice so I looked around for something even lighter than Manjaro.

If one of your systems doesn’t have weak sauce you might want to try a thicker blend like Ubuntu but I understand it to be the ‘Windows’ of the Linux world.

You could laways install a lightweight DE like lxqt and it will be lightweight AF :slight_smile: And i totally agree @pippo The whole point of open source is to share the fun rather than hoard it to ourselves! I dont distro shame even tho i think people who use unity are nuts! (just kidding Keep that shit away from me tho!) Linux is like coffee you can cram what ever the fuck you want in it! Even oragne juce

From my personal experience, I think the choice of an OS (distro) can mean 4 different things for 4 types of people. Below, I’ll try to list the 4 types followed by their respective meanings:

First type -> The distro is a mere simple “tool” that gets the job done and gives you the opportunity to learn a lot about how operating systems actually work from inside out, and also to enjoy the sharing of knowledge with other FOSS enthusiasts in a friendly community.

Second type -> The distro is just a fancy poser “label” used by infants who mainly want to look smarter and cooler than they actually are in the eyes of other people.

Third type -> The distro works as a dogmatic “tribal” kind of religion (Us vs Them).

Forth type -> The distro is that thing which gets out of their way in a point and clicky manner.

From my perception, most members – if not all – here at ArchLabs fit on the first type of people, and that’s one of the reasons why i chose AL :wink:

My other very “personal” reasons are:

a) slick pragmatic/minimal installer

b) minmalistic DEs with very clean dark looks

c) a very friendly, fun and non-dogmatic community

But no matter where you fit across the board man, pls feel welcome to the club!

5 Likes