I3wm (i3-gaps) && polybar (with gaps)

Hi guys, let me explain.
So I would like to use gaps also with my polybar when using its offset option but it won’t let me do it, I have added this in the polybar master config:

override-redirect = true
This allows me to use offset-x and offset-y options, and that’s nice (it does the job without having to set the borders transparent) but if I do that the windows lose their gaps and recover the bar…
If I set the “override-redirect” to false, windows respect the bar and the gaps is here again but the offset is lost.
I don’t really want to sacrifice its borders (eh I like them) and make it transparent so I could do “as if”.
Is there a trick or is this a non resolved i3wm incompatibility ?
Thank you by advance.

1 Like

Hi @k43r17h, here is a part where he talks about i3 and polybar:

Have you also tried with the .config/i3/config file?

1 Like

In fact I have already tested the restack option, and that causes the windows to be behind the bar. Without that option, it’s inverted, the bar is behind the windows…
(:neutral_face:)
For the i3 config file, I didn’t know there was something in here which (that?) can help.

I’ve been trying to do something similar to the configurations of @anon52460207, to prove what you said, but I’ve not succeeded. Look at the link to the screenshot, I think you want to do something similar. Sorry if I have not been of great help @k43r17h .

1 Like

Eh @Negata don’t be sorry for that and yes this is indeed what I try to realize !
Can I ask you if it’s possible to share the config ?

1 Like

I am glad to know that this is what you were looking for, my first language is not English and sometimes it is difficult.

Regarding the configuration, I’m using Slim-polybar. If you ask @anon52460207, she can guide you better than me to that particular configuration.

Thx that’s what i will do, good night

1 Like

You’re welcome, and do not hesitate to ask anything. They are a great team. And this forum is a good place to learn, answer questions and be inspired.

Good Night

Salud

@anon52460207
Thank you I’ll check that, it will give me work for my evening

1 Like