I3-wm Arch Linux

I am creating this thread to ask small questions related to setting up i3-wm on Vanilla Arch Linux . Hope this is the correct place . Anybody can reply to this thread in free time , no compulsions .

1 ) How to have a particular xcursor theme enabled through autostart/startup file?
e.g I want to have ArchCursorBlue persistently enabled on my i3-wm .

how do I make it work through

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr & ?

( I tried setting xcursor through lxappearance but it goes back to default adwaita cursor theme when set through lxappearance )

2 ) What is the best place to place gtk3 themes? I put Arc-Ambiance theme in .icons folder but lxappearance did not show this theme.

$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 &
$HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
1 Like

I’m reading about it , these settings you suggested would need manual configuration or may be by some script

If you don’t want to manually configure the cursor themes you can install lxappearance

1 Like

I want to manually configure cursor themes and gtk3 themes not with lxappearance as it does not work with lxappearance .

lxappearance doesn’t work with lxappearance? I don’t get it

Guess that he means he can t get it to work with lxappearance

Working with lxappearance on my ArchLabs.

Place the cursor theme in ~/.local/share/icons
Place the gtk theme in ~/.local/share/themes

Place them in /usr/share/icons and /usr/share/themes if you want them system wide.

Both should be available from lxappearance. You may need to log out and back in.

Edit - I just checked, the cursor theme is persistent after rebooting, but seems a bit buggy. I only get the Arch arrow at certain places - root window, titlebar - otherwise it reverts to the normal arrow.

1 Like

Thanks , I did discover this point a while back , before that I was putting icons and themes in on .icons folder , later I discovered that either I need to have .icons and .themes folders in my home directory or in ~/.local/share/icons and ~/.local/share/themes as you suggested .

You will need to comment out the xfsettingsd line from your autostart files for lxappearance to work properly.

2 Likes

Yes I did that

Is everything working the way you want?

My i3status.conf file is here

My bar entry on i3 config file is here

I have following fonts in ~/.local/share/fonts

DejaVuSansMono.ttf ‘Font Awesome 5 Free-Solid-900.otf’
‘Font Awesome 5 Brands-Regular-400.otf’ fontawesome.ttf
‘Font Awesome 5 Free-Regular-400.otf’ fontawesome-webfont.ttf

but my i3 bar does not show volume icon

when I run it from terminal I get an out put with a box instead of volume icon.

How do I fix it?

I don’t think you have the right name for the font in your i3 config file. You have Awesome 9; you need the full name Font Awesome 5 - or whatever it is actually named.

1 Like

font pango:DejaVu Sans Mono 8, FontAwesome 9

This changed alot of icons on bar but volume icon did not , but will sort it out tomorrow

Also these changes have to be made in is config file for fonts

Font for window titles. Will also be used by the bar unless a different font

is used in the bar {} block below.

#font pango:monospace 8

This font is widely installed, provides lots of unicode glyphs, right-to-left

text rendering and scalability on retina/hidpi displays (thanks to pango).

font pango:DejaVu Sans Mono 8

lxappearance is an easy way to go about it, but I have used this as a guide using xsettings and such:

addy had this using Debian, but vanilla is vanilla IMO, no matter what bowl it is served in.

1 Like

Looks impressive.

There is also this channel, although the host goes through installs very quickly, but he knows his stuff.

Here is i3:

1 Like

How do we check/know from code e.g 01F50A produced for missing characters being dropped about a missing font needed to give a code its icon shape properly?