I3 or....?

hello

I’m a long time i3wm user,
if you have also used i3 and switched to bspwm or dk, for which reasons did you change wm?
why do you prefer bspwm or dk over i3?

3 Likes

I prefer i3 > all

thanks! lol

Maybe because I am just used to it and don’t want to change. I have my home PC and work computer on i3.

1 Like

LOL, most of them did it because of curiosity. Use whatever works for you.

2 Likes

Or OpenBox ! My fav .

2 Likes

Your so right with curiosity after using i3-gaps for years, tried dk and never went back.

1 Like

Honestly, it is curiousity and the time it took to play with it to the way I want it. I don’t want to give up on it lol

1 Like

For me, my tiling wm past was this:

• i3
  • dwm

That’s it.

If dwm disappeared tomorrow I’d move on to dk. You sort of need to try out the wm’s if you are interested in moving to a new setup to see which one suits you best.

3 Likes

All good WMs up in here. I think dk is the best on X11 and sway as it’s own standalone wayland spec compositor.

1 Like

dwm will never disappear. To many people have it’s source code in their $HOME. Lol. But I feel your drift.

3 Likes

why dk over i3? :slight_smile:

i3 is tree based, doesn’t have layouts, and is largely feature complete. dk is still in development, uses layouts, and is list based. I don’t think there’s much reason to use anything other that i3 but you might find you like the layout based wm better, doesn’t have to be dk.

1 Like

i3 Layout Saving - user can make their own.

2 Likes

That’s not the same thing imo. It requires creating a layout (manually) of specific windows and spawning the same windows to “retrieve” the layout later as well as managing the calls. I tried it once and realized how much more work it was than just doing it myself and I think they did it on purpose. Not trying to knock them for not being layout based but i3 just functions very differently.

1 Like

To start with dk was just a another wm to play around with, but over time I became more interested in the way it worked and having the developer right here in this forum was a big bonus. I just enjoy being part of something new that I could have input and hopefully help the developers make it even better.

i3 is a wonderful wm as are all of them really its just whatever floats your boat.

1 Like

Exactly the same over here with me. Same reasons that got me interested in sway/nwg-shell from @nwg. And, indeed, whatever floats your boat!

2 Likes

I started with i3 then DWM but I’ve moved to Awesome lately but I’ve used bspwm, xmonad and a few others as well but DWM and Awesome are My favourites and both fit how I like to work

2 Likes

I use dk(xcb) and xmonad(xlib) as my daily drivers.

1 Like