I3: Need help with floating window

Hey everyone!

I’m running Kicad and as it sits, I can do what I need to for windowing but here’s the thing,
When the base app is opened (much like when you open the base app of Libre Office) and I pick an option (in this case, its a schematic editor) so think of it as opening Writer from the Libre main app.

That being said, xprop shows this:
WM_CLASS(STRING) = “kicad”, “Kicad”
WM_ICON_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) = “Eeschema — FA-1 [/] — /home/chris/KiCad/FA-1/FA-1”
_NET_WM_ICON_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = “Eeschema — FA-1 [/] — /home/chris/KiCad/FA-1/FA-1”
WM_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) = “Eeschema — FA-1 [/] — /home/chris/KiCad/FA-1/FA-1”
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = “Eeschema — FA-1 [/] — /home/chris/KiCad/FA-1/FA-1”

What I’m trying to do is somehow wild card the “Eeschema — FA-1 [/] — /home/chris/KiCad/FA-1/FA-1” part to just key on “Eeschema” so that it will open a floating window.
In short, I don’t know how to have it just use what I mentioned as each schematic will be different.

It’s obvious I cant use wm_class (since I already do for the main application) - So really, I need to be able to float the sub programs is what I’m saying.

I really could use some advise since I tried both * and $ after the Eeschema and that didn’t work. Maybe what I’m doing can’t be done?

Oh, I forgat that I am actually using this syntax (title):
for_window [title=“Eeschema”] floating enable

UPDATE:
What’s odd, if I call Eeschema on it’s own bypassing the main Kicad app, the “^Eeschema$” works just fine. From what I have investigated, the ^ and the $ sorta act as wildcards. But it still fails to run as expected from the main app. Unfortunately, I do believe that is what is required since the whole PCB process flows from the main app. Arrrgghh!!!
Still would like to get this to work.

TIA
Cheers
Chris

LOL, got it!!!

It appears that it has flow. Check out how this appears to work:

for_window [class=“Kicad”] floating disable
for_window [class=“Kicad” title=“Eeschema$”] floating enable border normal
for_window [class=“Kicad” title=“Pcbnew$”] floating enable border normal

So, the first line is the main Kicad app. Line 2 and 3 are the modules. Having it flow “down-hill” if you will and the $ in line 2 takes care of the way I wanted this to work out. Soooo.
I don’t know how “correct” this is, but it does work :slight_smile:

UPDATE:
Been working on this since the post. Here is what I have (for those that may wish to use Kicad as I am). I am still have issue calling 2 modules, but all the rest are A-Ok!.

Settings for Kicad

for_window [class=“Kicad”] floating disable
for_window [class=“Kicad” title=“Eeschema$”] floating enable border normal
for_window [class=“Kicad” title=“Pcbnew$”] floating enable border normal

These two below are not yet configed for floating

for_window [class=“Kicad” instance=“Symbol Library Editor$”] floating enable border normal
for_window [class=“Kicad” instance=“Footprint Editor$”] floating enable border normal

for_window [class=“Gerbview” instance=“gerbview”] floating enable border normal
for_window [class=“Bitmap2component” title=“Bitmap to Component Converter$”] floating enable border normal
for_window [class=“Pcb_calculator” title=“PCB Calculator$”] floating enable border normal
for_window [class=“Pl_editor” instance=“pl_editor”] floating enable border normal

Cheers
Chris

5 Likes

Fixed it yourself, top job @Chris