I am unable to update my system

I haven’t updated in many months and I am now trying to do it but its now having a lot of errors I did manage to still update some stuff but there are a lot of errors being displayed.

When I am trying it again it is having some issue with locking the database after running sudo pacman -Syyu

error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update extra (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update community (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update multilib (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update archlabs_repo (unable to lock database)
error: failed to synchronize all databases

Is there a way to fix this?

Please have a look at the Arch Wiki;

Also ,did you clear the cache ! It might help.

sudo pacman -Scc

sudo pacman -Syu

Ok so I did clear the caches (after running sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck as sudo pacman -Scc did not work)

After running sudo pacman -Syyu I now get this error.

:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com : Could not resolve host: ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from jpn.mirror.pkgbuild.com : Could not resolve host: jpn.mirror.pkgbuild.com
 core                  130.8 KiB   143 KiB/s 00:01 [----------------------] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com : Could not resolve host: ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from jpn.mirror.pkgbuild.com : Could not resolve host: jpn.mirror.pkgbuild.com
 extra                1655.6 KiB   422 KiB/s 00:04 [----------------------] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com : Could not resolve host: ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from jpn.mirror.pkgbuild.com : Could not resolve host: jpn.mirror.pkgbuild.com
 community               5.2 MiB   980 KiB/s 00:05 [----------------------] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com : Could not resolve host: ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from jpn.mirror.pkgbuild.com : Could not resolve host: jpn.mirror.pkgbuild.com
 multilib              157.4 KiB  4.66 MiB/s 00:00 [----------------------] 100%
 archlabs_repo          16.4 KiB  84.3 KiB/s 00:00 [----------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

Well , it sux, you seem to have 2 mirrors, it might not help,

I think it started today right !

I just tried updating today after many months and I am noticing this issue.

Plus when I updated the first time (today) it seemed to make the OS really slow and slightly buggy now.

Well , it might be the reason why.

Also from the wiki concerning pacman commands, please don t use the following after clearing the cache;

sudo pacman -Syyu

, use this one instead,

sudo pacman -Syu posted above from this link here;

It also talk about updates.

Hope it can be of any help.

1 Like

Those sites don’t seem to exist:

~$ nslookup ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com                          
Server:         9.9.9.9
Address:        9.9.9.9#53

** server can't find ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com: NXDOMAIN

~1$ nslookup jpn.mirror.pkgbuild.com       
Server:         9.9.9.9
Address:        9.9.9.9#53

** server can't find jpn.mirror.pkgbuild.com: NXDOMAIN

~1$

Looks like the mirrors are down:

Edit /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and comment them out (or remove them). See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors#Sorting_mirrors for a way to select the fastest in-sync mirrors.

2 Likes

You’ll need to remove the lock (/var/lib/pacman/db.lck) to access the database again, you also need to update your mirrorlist

sudo reflector --verbose --score 100 -l 50 -f 10 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Then you should be able to update as usual.

4 Likes