Hw to fix broken pipe menus in openbox?


#1

Openbox after update became broken polybar returns but with losin configs. And menus still dont work like this


Menu troubles
#2

The generated pipemenus are no longer included, you can downgrade the pipemenus package to before the update here
https://bitbucket.org/archlabslinux/archlabs_repo/raw/b4cbf33f7c6c5e9c8c393eb55df534f11c44f6fd/x86_64/archlabs-pipemenus-2.6.18-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

once the file is downloaded, open a terminal then run

cd Downloads
pacman -U archlabs-pipemenus-2.6.18-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

Or update your menu to use the static menu, try

cp -f ~/.config/oepnbox/menu-static.xml ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml

openbox --restart

If with the above you get an error like ‘file does not exist’ then do this

# remove old skeleton files
sudo rm -rf /etc/skel

# install latest base and openbox skeleton files
sudo pacman -S archlabs-skel-base archlabs-skel-openbox

# copy the new menu file to ~/.config/openbox
cp -f /etc/skel/.config/openbox/menu.xml ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml

# restart openbox to load the new menu
openbox --restart

Lemme know how it goes


#3

I did all the above up to the openbox restart in order to use the static menus. I still get the same issue, but I don’t get the ‘file does not exist’ warning or anything like that.

I’m wondering if there isn’t a way to generate the new menu items dynamically? My system had locale issues and it could be that something breaks during generating the menu items.


#4

So I’m confused, there are three options listed above.

  1. Downgrade the package
  2. Switch to the static menu that already exists in your ~/.config/openbox
  3. Use the latest

If you downgraded the package, there should be nothing else you need to do.

You may want to add it to the HoldPkg = ... in /etc/pacman.conf to avoid future upgrade issues.


#5

Also had issues with broken pipe menus in Openbox after upgrading to AL 18-12. Followed the advice in the forum and downloaded the new AL-skel folder from bitbucket. After replacing my old menu.xml openbox config file with one from the new skel folder, I now have a working OB menu, and no more pipe-menu errors. Next task is to tweak the new menu more to my liking!
Although I was getting repeated OB broken pipe error messages, I was lucky that the polybar continued to function properly, giving me a working system to troubleshoot.
Thanks for the hints in the forum that guided my efforts!


#6

Again, seemed to do the trick, had issues also after upgrade, looks good up to now, Thx @natemaia


#7

Ah, the user makes a difference here.

I did downgrade the package, as root, but that didn’t seem to make any difference.

Then I updated again so I only tweak one variable at a time. Then I switched to the static menu, as root, and restarted. That didn’t seem to make a difference. Then I switched to static menu as normal user, and restarted. That fixed things. Thanks very much!


#8

Ahh yes very good, when running commands that use ~ or $HOME they will be evaluated for the current user running the command.

Glad you managed, cheers