How to make my system drives setup even better?

Hi, currently I use this setup:

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot
└─sda2   8:2    0 465.3G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0 465.8G  0 disk 
└─sdb1   8:17   0 465.8G  0 part /home

Well, having the /home on another ssd is great. This is when I first realized that there is more to the filesystem than /home xD and I heard stories of how some people have even more ssd drives for something like /lib or /usr or maybe /bin?

So maybe one of them still saves your installed applications such as… Blender, Substance Painter, IntelliJ Community and so on (which after years of reinstalling has started to annoy me XD) especially IntelliJ Community.

Does anyone got any good examples, if getting another ssd drive for any of those other folders is a good idea and how would it help someone? Or if something would help to make my system even faster :smiley:

I’ve looked into this before, but never got an clear answer on the topic

Do you really need 500GB for $HOME? I would just put the whole system on the SSD.

And for the functions of the various directories read file-hierarchy(7). That “thegeekstuff” site doesn’t know what it’s talking about…

4 Likes

To say the truth 500GB for $HOME is severely running out of space for me. Okay I’ll say what’s on there xD - pretty much everything: VM images, 3Dmodels/textures/pbrmaterials, musics, pictures, and even some games. I got no other place to store it right now.

One time I tried making root home on sda smaller size, like 150gb. And I made sda3 as an empty drive, but later I realized that required root privileges to access it and I can’t use it like that xd and sadly I can’t use AL-autoformat on sda drive in this case.

I’ve never came across this specific arch man page, this was great help!

My plans which I’ve been plotting secretly for awhile now It’s to setup 2 archlabs workstations for 3D + drawing apps, and completely skip using windows for anything and everything. I’m not looking to “cut corners” on setup like having just 1 ssd for the whole thing. Because things can go wrong sometimes especially when newbies like me run things :)), and it’s so nice to quickly reinstall using AL installer + keep the $HOME on a separate safe drive.

I’m trying to get the idea of what works :smiley: and what gives me some benefits. Let’s say, if money is not a problem for the setup (it is but, still trying to figure what is the best of the best setup).

To advance this further, here is what I have in my mind right now with as little as I know

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot
└─sda2   8:2    0 465.3G  0 part /

sdb      8:16   0 465.8G  0 disk 
└─sdb1   8:17   0 465.8G  0 part /home

sdc      4TB    0 disk 
└─sdc1   4TB    /assets & media hdd

^ bare minimum, but can we add 1 more SSD for something useful?

SSD1: for ArchLabs auto-installer, it makes it just the way I’d do it manually /boot /root /swap
SSD2: /home 1TB would be ideal, 500GB gets full quick if you have no place to store media files
HDD3: 3-5TB drive, to store all the assets
SSD4: ??? what mountpoints would you setup on a 4th drive? Please share me your wisdom xD!

Would it be a good practice, to have /usr/bin on the 4th SSD? Would this literally mean, if I were to do a fresh AL reinstall and I get back into the OS - I can launch something like Blender instantly because as I understand it is stored in /usr/bin. And a whole bunch of stupid questions follows in my mind xd would nvidia drivers get placed there and would they even work after a reinstall? And if there are any security threats with this?

I love the idea of an 100% linux “game/art workstation” :)) I’d never ever go back on Windows! Some people would be surprised when they find out that what used to be “window only” tools like Substance Paint + even zBrush actually works perfectly in Linux, I was shocked when I discovered it!

Sorry for a long ranting post XD I’m excited and confused as I’m ingesting this filesystem structure thing here, thanks!

If you need that much space then perhaps consider btrfs or LVM so that you can use multiple drives to act as a single volume. Then you won’t have to worry about specific mounts. They would all have to be solid state though.

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Using_Btrfs_with_Multiple_Devices

1 Like