How to dual boot Archlabs and windows 7?

I am new to Arch.
So i was searching for arch based distros and i found ArchLabs.
TBH this distro is the coolest one soo far.

Been using ubiquity installer for a long time,
so I have no idea for terminal or non graphical based installers.
Please help me to install this awsome distro :slightly_smiling_face:

0 Likes

A quick question from Mr Dumbass

You’re dual booting with Windows 7?

What is your hard drive (more than one?) and partition layout?

The installer is straight forward and user friendly - ncurses based so you use arrow and tab keys instead of the mouse. Main issue for dual boot will be where you install grub.

Back up all your data first.

Remember that Windows 7 will have some small partitions for system files as well as the large partition for Windows. It’s easy to accidentally deleted one of the small ones so be careful at the partitioning stage of the install.

2 Likes

Also what would help is to know whether you’re using UEFI or legacy partition setup.
By the way welcome to Archlabs!:grin:

1 Like

it is bios/legacy
i already have a dual boot with xubuntu & windows 7
i want to erase the existing xubuntu and install archlabs

my partition look something like this
sda1 / sda2 / sda3 / sda5 / sda6

sda5 is my swap partition and sda6 is the root
so i want to erase sda6 and install archlabs
this was easy using ubiquity or calamari installer :confused:

0 Likes

@Arceus,

Start the installer, read carefully the short instruction page. Navigate each page using your arrow keys, make a selection with spacebar and enter to confirm (complete each page before moving on). When asked where to put / (root), select /dev/sda6 and format the partition using ext4 (this will erase xubuntu). When asked for a mount option, you may select none (default) although I always use noatime. Swap will be handled automatically by way of a file not partition (if you wish to use a swap partition, you must configure one yourself after installation). When asked about boot (where grub will go) you have two options…

1. Select none and installer will default to writing grub to mbr (where xubuntu wrote grub).

2. If for any reason you wish to write grub to it’s own partition, before running the installer create a small fat32 partition using gparted in the ‘live’ session and simply point the installer there when prompted for boot (grub).

4 Likes

^ good write up.

Since ArchLabs uses the new swapfile method that does not require a physical partition, you can use gparted from a live session to delete sda5 and recover that drive space if you want.

3 Likes

Thank you guys @anon37345411, @sevenday4, @PackRat.
I have successfully dual booted.
This is my first post from ArchLabs. :grinning:

3 Likes

Please introduce yourself to us.

2 Likes