ArchLabs Linux

How to change the mouse senstivity and GTK themes in the DWM version?

So I used to be on the i3 version and I used the pre-installed xfce4 settings to change both which always works fine. I recently shifted to DWM cause I like the automation, the whole master slave thing and the tagging system.When I try to change the theme or mouse senstivity or anything else for that matter using the xfce settings nothing happens. Like if I chose a different theme in xfce appearance nothing changes. Same for the mouse.
I’m ceratin i’m not the only one who has experienced this. Would one of you be so kind as to explain how to get about changing these settings ?

Welcome to the forum @rxd94

If you want to use the xfce settings applications you need to have the daemon running by adding the following to your startup.

xfsettingsd &

Regarding how you could do it in a simpler fashion, I use lxappearance for gtk settings and an xorg config for my mouse.

For mouse/pointer acceleration and speed you have a bunch of options, xorg config, xset, or xinput. Using xset making the mouse 2x faster at all times is as easy as:

xset m 2/1 0
# 2/1 ratio, 0 threshold.. check `man xset` for more explanation

You’ll just need to add a command to your startup (~/.xinitrc). For a more persistent solution an xorg config is the best answer, I use one to disable acceleration:

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf

# my mouse xorg config, removes acceleration
Section "InputClass"
	Identifier		"Mouse0"
	Driver			"libinput"
	MatchIsPointer	"yes"
	Option			"AccelProfile" "flat"
	Option			"AccelSpeed" "0"
EndSection

You can use the following options in a config like mine above to tweak the speeds and threshold

# set the following to 1 1 0 respectively to disable acceleration.
Option "AccelerationNumerator" "2"         # < 2/1 ratio similar to xset
Option "AccelerationDenominator" "1"       #     ^
Option "AccelerationThreshold" "4"         # 4px threshold

Hopefully you can make sense of all that and find a setting that works for you.

I would really suggest reading the wiki page on it for more descriptive examples
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration

*stack, there’s no slavery here :wink:

Yes lol my bad. Where my mind be at…

thank you. I’m just using the xfsettingsd at startup for now, works well enough. I also changed the font in my gtk apps to be like my term and status bar font using the xfce settings. Thanks for your help, it really helped :).