How do you keep track of all your config files

Hi all,

I was wondering, what is your workflow, for keeping track of your customized configuration files.
Mine is not exsisting at the moment.

Yours, Ben

I don’t have one per say… but I keep an encrypted folder with the ones for apps I’ve tweaked a lot… then I put that folder on a usb drive or in the cloud or both. That way I can retrieve them when needed… I used to do this a lot when I still used thunderbird… but also fot things like hexchat and editors if I have the setup tweaked.

Though I have seen that some people just put them up on github, which I am considering as long as it is stuff that security doesn’t really matter. The example I saw yesterday was a polybar config on github that @Dobbie03 shared with me.

I just use GitHub to store my configs. Easiest way to do this and to share when needed.

3 Likes

^ this; but remember to keep all the sensitive files backed up to a external file of some sort.

1 Like

Anything related to personal passwords or anything of that nature are edited.

2 Likes

I have three places where I keep my config files backups just in case the inevitable happens. In the cloud, on one of my USB thumb drives, and on my passport backup device. I also keep a copy of my sel file and my efi partition files as well.

1 Like

I’m ashamed to admit it but I don’t keep track of anything.

I do like a few backups a week where I just cp -r /home/ into my hard-drive, and it’s the biggest mess you can imagine. I literally have promised my self to clean it up for over 2 years now, but I don’t dare to do it.

I do keep a private repository on GitHub to keep some configuration file, but most of the times I forget to update it sadly. The repo is a mess as well :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oops, do I see a disaster on the horizon! Trust me, I lost a lot because I didn’t keep things up to date, cleaned up, and most importantly, blacked up in several places. You may want to this in a hurry. Just take a day and do spring cleaning. Yes, I know it is a little early, but…

2 Likes

Stav…tut tut…lol

Backups are essential to life man.

2 Likes

Command line rsync to external drive weekly. Config files are autosaved in tabs within Geany. Copy back over ~/.config/geany to a new install to repopulate the tabs and use Meld to edit/merge any changes from last rsync backup.

3 Likes

I just started using rsync in the last year ( instead of just copying files). Back up all the configs and work documents to external drives - including the ArchLabs nfs share.

1 Like

Another is timeshift.

1 Like