Hello from England!

Hello everyone,

I trust everyone’s well and keeping safe in these unusual times (no politician slur intended!). I know I’m trying to keen sane, without chalking tally marks on the walls!

I used to use Arch way back in the day, but have since moved away from it as my main desktop OS (nothing against Arch at all, moreover due to circumstances at work which meant I needed parity with what I do there, which isn’t Arch-based). I do though still keep a VM around to check bits and pieces.

I joined these forums yesterday as I was pointed here from a friend. Some of you like and use FVWM which is great to see. As most are aware, I’m working on FVWM3 (https://github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm3), and wanted to let you know that any/all contributions are very welcomed! Bug reports, testing, patches, etc., doesn’t matter what.

I don’t bite, so feel free to open as many issues as you see fit. I’m also kicking about on IRC: #fvwm on freenode.

Thanks everyone!

Thomas Adam

7 Likes

Hey Thomas

Welcome to AL.

It was weird spelling your name with an H. My youngest son’s name is Tomas :smiley:

P.S. I starred your GitHub page for future reference :+1:

Hi @Dobbie03 – thanks! Really appreciate that.

Hehe – it’s interesting to note the spelling of my name. “Thomas” is a Christian name (I’m not religious), and I know of a few different spellings:

• Tomas
  • Tomaz

Typically, the spellings above have been from other countries in Europe or near to it. It makes sense to me though, as the “h” is silent, so for other spellings not to include that is obvious.

My surname is more interesting though. I’ve spent most of my life being called “Adam” as my forename, as my parents gave me both names, either one of which could be used as a forename. Not their fault, but “Thomas” as a surname is also common.

So I’m a mess, basically. :slight_smile:

Of course, I have to say that you chose well for calling your youngest “Tomas” – it’s a great name, regardless of how you spell it. :slight_smile:

– Thomas

Ah yes. Well don’t tell my Wife but I got the spelling from my favourite drummer Tomas Haake (he’s Swedish).

You seem okay to me! :smiley:

1 Like

Cool. I know of Meshuggah. Not really my cup of tea. But each to their own. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad you know who I mean.

Meshuggah are a love it or hate it band I think. You can’t be a part time Meshuggah fan.

1 Like

Welcome @ThoamsAdam!

1 Like

Welcome aboard @ThoamsAdam

Welcome to the forum, Thomas.

Hello Thomas, welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Have you actually tried building fvwm3 under Arch? I had a quick go at packaging it up but it wouldn’t build for me. It compiled fine in my Debian buster box though so perhaps I’m just missing some build dependencies, do you have a list of those perchance? I tried using the ones listed in Arch’s fvwm PKGBUILD but perhaps the new version is slightly different.

Hi, @Head_on_a_Stick,

Can you tell me which dependencies you had installed at the time? For extra brownie points, can you show me the output from any errors you had?

The configure script does a fairly sane job at letting you know of any missing core dependencies. As it stands right now though, the dependencies for fvwm2 are the same for fvwm3; the only difference is you will need librandr installed instead of libxinerama.

Kindly,
Thomas

1 Like

Hello all.
Just tried to build it and it went successfully. No dependencies required others from already installed on my machine.
Did it as it said in installation doc: autogen.sh && ./configure && make
But not sure what to do next.
Added exec fvwm to .xinitrc but X crashing.
Going to check logs.

EDIT: never mind, I’ve just run ./configure (again) and it built this time. Sorry for the trouble, I think it was PEBKAC :grin:

I’ll try to get the PKGBUILD working now and host it when it’s built…

EDIT2: this PKGBUILD seems to work:

# Maintainer: Head_on_a_Stick <HoaS at nonsense dot com>

_pkgname=fvwm3
pkgname=${_pkgname}-git
pkgver=r5718.e8c3efc5
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Multiple large virtual desktop window manager, originally derived from twm"
arch=('x86_64')
url="https://github.com/fvwmorg/${_pkgname}"
license=('GPL' 'custom')
depends=('libstroke' 'libxpm' 'librsvg' 'libxcursor' 'libxrandr' 'python-xdg')
makedepends=('git' 'libxslt')
optdepends=('perl-tk: for ClickToFocus support'
            'perl-x11-protocol: for ClickToFocus support')
provides=('fvwm')
conflicts=('fvwm')
options=('!emptydirs' '!makeflags')
source=("git+${url}"
        "${_pkgname}.desktop")
sha512sums=('SKIP'
            '3507025fecfd6ab826e1e4b6e038db5a4dd8f52bcc0a34a42e57c7eb525109be7321e764dcd0e8cfe1b4535004f8bea9ce86e63103e836b5502805bbccd44c71')

pkgver() {
   cd "$_pkgname"
   printf "r%s.%s" "$(git rev-list --count HEAD)" "$(git rev-parse --short HEAD)"
}

build() {
   cd "${srcdir}/${_pkgname}"
   ./autogen.sh
   ./configure --prefix=/usr \
               --sysconfdir=/etc \
               --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
               --with-stroke-library
   make
}

package() {
   cd "${srcdir}/${_pkgname}"
   make DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
   install -d "${pkgdir}/usr/share/doc/${_pkgname}"
   install -D -m644 "../${_pkgname}.desktop" "${pkgdir}/usr/share/xsessions/${_pkgname}"
   install -D -m644 COPYING "${pkgdir}/usr/share/licenses/${_pkgname}/COPYING"
}

And here’s fvwm3.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=FVWM
Comment=The fvwm window manager
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/bin/fvwm3
TryExec=/usr/bin/fvwm3

I’m trying to host it in my openSUSE Build Service repository but they don’t support -git packages so it might not work.

EDIT3: package built:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/binaries/home:Head_on_a_Stick:Arch/fvwm3/Arch_Extra

See this link for installation instructions:

https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3AHead_on_a_Stick%3AArch&package=fvwm3

It’s not shipped just yet so that page is currently empty but it should be ready soon :slight_smile:

1 Like
sudo make install

Will copy binary fvwm3 and some other files to /usr/local/bin. No symlinks are created.

Need to use fvwm3 in your .xinitrc or create the symlink for fvwm

That’s what I had to do. Successfully compiled on ArchLabs and Void.

Yeah, I did this, but after adding in xinitrc X start to crash. Will continue tomorrow. Thanks anyway.

working fine, but so unfamiliar environment :smiley:
can i increase height of window decorations? where is bindings and why man fvwm3 not working XD
So many questions. Will read some docs and try to set up what i want.
Actually it should be quite simple - bindings for dmenu and windows actions.
Don’t know why i need it but it’s fun. Thanks for sharing.

really like the desktop patterns, will reuse it with my setup. Where can i find such a nice hires patterns?

Hi @dimaom,

Yeah, it’s an odd environment if you’re used to more, err, inclusive Desktop Environments. :slight_smile:

In order to build man pages, you’ll need to use: ./configure --enable-mandoc at compile time, which relies on xsltproc being installed.

1 Like

Hi @dimaom,

Assuming your install prefix was /usr/local/, then you’ll find images and the like here:

/usr/local/share/fvwm3/default-config/images/

– Thomas Adam

thanks for getting back, need to compile man pages.
any hints on effective use of this environment? or how do you managing your daily tasks with it? are you heavy mouse user?
i am familiar with more minimal wms like dwm, cwm and yaxwm.
this one looking very complicated if you compare with dwm.

May be you should start separate thread for fvwm3 on this forum.