Have you tried Gravit Designer?

Not that I’m unhappy with the GIMP + Inkscape combo, but this app seems to be worth of try. Even if it’s proprietary code. Recommended to me by a befriended graphician and an Arch fanatic. :slight_smile:

At the office I’m forced to use Windows mainly due to CorelDRAW. Alright, I also need InDesign couple of times a year, but it could be replaced with a Linux app quite easily. Gravit Designer seems to be a Corel replacement in many not-really-advanced tasks, and that’s what I usually do.

PROS:

• really cross-platform software. I can even run it on my Chromebook. Works in the web browser, too (!);
  • intuitive UI;
  • multiple templates included: printing, websites / social network, mobile devices;
  • own cloud to store files;
  • most of features available in the free version;
  • affordable pro license.

CONS:

• closed source, recently bought by the Corel corporation;
  • some features (importing AI, exporting pdf in high resolution, CMYK (I’m not sure), hell knows what else) - unavailable in the free version.

If someone would like to try it out, the AUR package seems not to be recommendable. It installs into /usr/share. Since the team is working on auto updates, it’s likely to get into the same troubles as IntelliJ stuff did: being unable to auto-update w/o sudo. I’ve just downloaded the archive, unpacked and followed the Installation-Guide.html. It’s easy.

I’m curious what you think.

Looks interesting, too bad it s corporate owned.

Couldn’t agree more. However, the one and only fully featured vector graphics editor to work on all my machines, including the Chromebook.

That s some good news.

No, I would not recommend it because it’s a -bin package, which means it installs the binary directly downloaded from the company.

Do we have access to the source code at all? I can’t even get to the installation page without creating an account.

Call me paranoid but without access to the source code then how do we know it’s not malware?

Looks like a nice program though, FWIW.

I don t call it paranoid, I call it being realistics, being a corporation, we never know right !

But it looks promising I must say feature-wise.

Be serious. Did you study the source code of each app before installing them? And what about proprietary drivers? What about stuff like PyCharm, IDEA, Android Studio, which come as Java archives? Let’s face the truth: having full access to the tint2 source I still understand hardly anything, because I don’t know C. And how many people on this forum knows anything but basic Bash? 10%? Besides: IMO the most important power of open source is the possibility to contribute to each project or to start your own fork, not the security reasons.

BTW: at home I’ll probably stick to Inkscape, which I got used to. Just wanted to notice the possibility of getting rid of Windows at the office, created by Gravit.

I would give it a try, seems like a decent enough program as its goal is graphic design, not everyone wants to create a piece of software for free and that should be respected considering time and effort put in. They have made it portable so they obviously know what they are doing.

1 Like

I am serious :slight_smile:

Nope, but I wouldn’t install them unless the code was available to view by people who can understand it.

As I said, I’m probably paranoid but I’m very grateful to the Debian developers for supporting reproducible builds so that I know exactly what the binaries supplied by the repositories contain.

I don’t use any of those things… because I can’t view the source code :slight_smile:

Firmware is a sticking point for me, which is why I’ll be buying into POWER9 & RISC-V as soon as I can afford to.

2 Likes

I think non free stuff is the sticky point here, i mean how many of today’s linux computer systems would not be running non free stuff, i bet you a great percentage of people use a huge percentage of the list in below link to have their systems actually work.

https://wiki.debian.org/CategoryProprietarySoftware

1 Like

The only stuff most people actually need is firmware for their wireless card.

Here’s my blobby list:

empty@shinken:~ $ vrms                                                          
              Non-free packages installed on shinken

firmware-iwlwifi                    Binary firmware for Intel Wireless cards
intel-microcode                     Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs

Contrib packages installed on shinken

iucode-tool                         Intel processor microcode tool
ttf-mscorefonts-installer           Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts

2 non-free packages, 0.1% of 1542 installed packages.
  2 contrib packages, 0.1% of 1542 installed packages.
empty@shinken:~ $

I need the CPU & wireless firmware but the fonts are just because I like them, and they’re only fonts so what the heck.

And I think security does come into this: the Spectre, Meltdown & L1TF vulnerabilities exist precisely because the microarchitecture of the x86 CPUs is proprietary so they can’t be fixed by people outside of the companies.

EDIT: getting off-topic now, sorry OP.

1 Like

I fully understand and accept your attitude, but not fully agree. Let me tell you a story:

In 2017 I was that much tired of Java, that I wanted to learn some Python. I’ve always been too lazy to just follow a manual and do unpractical exercises, so I coded a game. It writes scores to the “cloud”, in sense - to my own server. The cloud-related security was quite simple, as I didn’t pay much attention to it. However, the result satisfied me enough to publish the game in AUR, and also mention it on the PyGame website. One of PyGame community members asked me to open the game source code, which I initially promised to do. Temporarily I gave him access to the project on BitBucket. The very next day the Top Players list was hacked. What I had to do was to kick the guy off the project, and change the way the game accessed the server. And leave the source closed.

The morale of this story could be like this: the cloud services (as well my Top Players list, as the Gravit Cloud) are probably more safe as long, as their apps are closed source.

1 Like

That is an interesting story and you make a good point but then we have to trust you rather than rely on the community to spot any malfeasance, which would be my preference.

Please don’t take this personally though, the only person I trust is the one who is more trustworthy than all the Buddhas and sages combined: me :slight_smile:

If the code is closed then my immediate questions would be: why won’t they let us see it? What are they trying to hide?

Now excuse me while I go and take my little blue pills, I think they must be wearing off…

1 Like

How do you install this vrms on archlinux?

edit: Its an unsupported AUR package, not mainline.

They have just been bought by Corel, which is not a charity foundation, as we know well. They spend money and expect financial results. And I bet Corel bought them to reduce the amount of competitors, as Gravit is simply a piece of good code.

They are just hiding the code to make us pay money. BTW: I think my company could afford for $96 a year for the pro features. Especially if my next machine would need no Windows at all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

On your story, yes, that’s a shame that someone used your open-code to break in and hack the system.

Although someone could have just reverse the code and manage to read what you meant instead of having the code simply open. I don’t know much of python, I thought it was an interpreted language, and as such requires the source code anyway ?

For me, you can’t relate on closed source since there are some way to reverse engineer the code, but no way for you to fix what’s wrong in it. It can be hard for some small project I guess, and your stories shows it, but on the other hand, it’s probably better this way.

And on Gravit Designer, I’m not much of a designer myself, can’t even use GIMP properly, so I can’t really speak for it. Does it compare with MS Visio ?

It is, but we’re taking about a teenage “hacker”, I suppose. Sure, all the source code written in Python is available to anyone who knows where to look for it. EDIT: it seems in Windows I might have only seen .pyc files. No Windows machine in range to make sure.

I’ve never used it, but it seems to be useful at diagrams, flowcharts etc. No, Gravit is comparable rather to Inkscape on Linux and CorelDRAW on Windows.

@gazeka74 Yes, as I supposed: the Windows package does not contain .py files. Just precompiled stuff, some .exe files and whole lotta dlls. :slight_smile:

With apologies for the further diversion…

Unfortunately, vrms-arch isn’t that much use because so many Arch packages use the “custom” license field, as noted in the README.md on the upstream github source page.

If non-free is a concern then you could try Parabola GNU/Linux-libre, their repositories are FSF-compliant.

They have a blacklist that shows non-compliant Arch packages and a migration guide that might work with ArchLabs.

4 Likes

At the moment I use only software-free and is the open-source force, without any controversy is clear, everyone with their PC does what they like.
Cheers

1 Like