GTK icon browser w/ a good preview and a search by name feature

Does anyone know about any? I need it that much, that I started thinking about writing one.

1 Like

I think yad has a built-in for that. Try:

yad --icons

check the man page for yad if that doesn’t work.

4 Likes

Thanks!

It only seems to read .desktop files in a given directory… Anyway, good to know. I’ve already forgotten that yad even existed.

2 Likes

I just tried icon-explorer (AUR) and it hung almost right away but there is one gnome-icon-browser that works alright (I think).

womp

1 Like

Which package does it come with?

It is Yad. Sorry for my fast post.

womp

1 Like

I’ve managed to find the gtk3-icon-browser command included in the gtk3-demos package. That’s what I used some time ago, and couldn’t find recently. To make life harder, the .desktop file has the NoDisplay=true line. :slight_smile:

This command does almost all I need, apart from returning the icon name | path on icon selected. It only knows how to copy the icon name to clipboard. Otherwise it would be ready for use as my desired icon picker.

1 Like

Thanks to @womp I realized what I actually need: gtk3-icon-browser does its job well enough. I need nwg-icon-picker, a tiny tool to search and select icons by name.

2 Likes

Great!

womp

1 Like

It took two nights, but looks not bad. I wrote nwg-icon-picker in golang, and attached it as the icon chooser to nwg-panel config.

4 Likes

Looking good there @nwg, bet a lot of work into this.

2 Likes

Nothing really difficult. Icon folders and files search algorithm needed some deliberation. I bet it still could be improved.

1 Like