Grub and UEFI users beware

Apparently there is an issue with Grub that affects UEFI systems

https://archlinux.org/news/grub-bootloader-upgrade-and-configuration-incompatibilities/

4 Likes

+1 victim.

2 Likes

-1 for GRUB
+1 for systemd-boot

6 Likes

My encrypted install with btrfs snapshots (timeshift, timeshift-autosnap & grub-btrfs) is experiencing a 30-second delay opening a slot and about another 15 seconds just to boot the kernel after running that set of updates and reinstalling grub prior to the reboot.

I would jump to say it’s a luks-1 setup. Is GRUB the boot loader? Calamares is terrible about that situation.

1 Like

Yes, both.

I’ll have to look into systemd-boot & encrypted install.

1 Like

Oh shoot. Yeah there isn’t any way around that delay unless reformatting with something unencrypted or going luks2. Basically the delay is from grub trying to do the decryption.

2 Likes

There is an update that apparently addresses the delay. Just a coincidence but I switched to systemd boot a bit before grub had a hissy fit. The arch devs are calling it someone else’s problem.

3 Likes

Please post a link if you still have it.

Is your systemd-boot with an encrypted install … if so, how’s our experience?

:+1:

No encryption here systemd boot is easier to deal with and faster than grub.

Adding kernels is a bit different but I talk about it here:

2 Likes

It seems to be as it isn’t an Arch specific issue. Apparently Fedora users were striking it as well.

5 Likes

I think I’m gonna move the ISO back to systemd-boot like we’ve always had, not a huge fan of the change after some time to think about it.

10 Likes

Agree - with all the mess surrounding Grub/UFI, I opted to go the systemd route to avoid issues.

4 Likes

This distro does a really nice job of implementing it as clean as possible as it is with the distro in general. :+1:

5 Likes

Sounds good.

1 Like