Great distro , very interested in pure openbox

After trying 3 times to install manjaro openbox, I looked around and found a review of AL. Impressive review.

AL installed without a hitch!

2 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome to the gang

1 Like

Welcome here man.

1 Like

Hi @verndog welcome to a great forum as well as a great distro!

1 Like

Welcome, good to see you here.

1 Like

I’ve tried manjaro i3 and openbox, which are great community releases, but nothing beats the defaults on ArchLabs. It’s not bloated and has the best post installation script to get the software you actually need.

Also I love the installer. I was worried since I’ve only used full GUI installers (with success at least), but I prefer the AL installer. It’s quick and intuitive.

1 Like

Agreed. I believe the Al-Hello is one of the biggest highlights of ArchLabs.

This is something I have been waiting to hear. So many people have been negative in their reviews of the choice of ABIF because it isn’t newbie friendly (I’d like to point out that we have never said we are a newbie friendly distro and have never marketed ourselves in this vein) and isn’t GUI.

Personally I think ABIF is another highlight of AL. It getst the job done and in fine fashion.

I’m not sure I would consider AL newbie friendly. By that I mean I would not install it on a machine of someone who has not used Linux before or doesn’t have much experience. There are some things you have to figure out. I’ve seen many reviews treat it as such though. I think arch in general can be challenging, despite its impressive documentation.

I would say AL is a ‘general linux user’ friendly distro. It’s a great introduction to arch and extremely flexible software/DE’s/WM’s.

Moreover, it has a great community (including the forum, reddit, and arch in general).

That was my point. We aren’t and we don’t want to be. :smiley:

It gets on my wick when reviewers give us negative feedback because of ABIF and without knowing the full back story of AL. If we wanted to be the Arch Ubuntu we would changed our name to arco linux and Erik DuBois would be still involved.

The whole point of AL, other than the BunsenLabs worship, is that we are bring to those who want it, the distribution that @nate and myself would use. People seemed to have accepted that ABIF is here to stay and we are happy they have :slight_smile:

1 Like

As Soon as I saw the text based install, my first reaction was, OMG, this isn’t going to end well. But it was very easy. I see reviews not likely it, but sometimes were preprogramed to only like fancy gui-in-the-eye inputs. I like “old” school.

My ONLY problem now is trying to dig out data=ordered from the mounts. I removed it from fstab, and not in link boot line. But that another issue. ArchLabs is great and I love the programs added.

That’s the thing. The lack of clicky to move to next and GUI scares people off and for some reason it makes people scared to try. I love shit like that. It’s different and its a challenge at first. Once you have done it a couple of times it will be second nature :smiley:

1 Like

Hello and welcome

1 Like

Well if you think about it, the arch based system isn’t for someone who doesn’t understand linux. To install Arch, you see how to build your system from the ground up. None of the install components uses GUI, hence AL should follow suit. Antergos and Manjaro are two of several distros that will help a newbie transition to the arch based system from Debian or such. And I think the Debian based system is a good transition system for those who are coming from the Windows OS or those who are not interested in building their own systems but wants something that will do it for them.

2 Likes

wait a sec here now… this isnt windows?

1 Like

Wrong OS my friend!:joy:

I totally agree on this. Pamac is good on the GUI but this installer is so much faster and gets the job done very well. Upgrading is a breeze. Finding a package and just TAB is also very intuitive. I’m a very happy user of this CLI version!

2 Likes

It’s nice to hear some positive feedback about the installer.

1 Like

I have one problem though. Normally an installer sets the new user to all kinds of groups that he/she needs to be in to maintain the system. ArchLabs does not do that. I have no idea what the normal groups are that a system user admin needs to be part of. I.e I’m used to run ImageWriter to create bootable usb drives. However, when I do that on archlabs I get an error that I’m not allowed to do so. I have to logoff and logon as root to complete this simple task. Any ideas?

Maybe ‘wheel’ or ‘sudo’