Google ending G+ After keeping security flaw from consumers

Well, I suppose I’ll be forced to use Book of Face or Twittle to stay in touch with fam and friends. Dammit… Rat bastards.

"Every year, we send millions of notifications to users about privacy and security bugs and issues. Whenever user data may have been affected, we go beyond our legal requirements and apply several criteria focused on our users in determining whether to provide notice.

Our Privacy & Data Protection Office reviewed this issue, looking at the type of data involved, whether we could accurately identify the users to inform, whether there was any evidence of misuse, and whether there were any actions a developer or user could take in response. None of these thresholds were met in this instance." – Google

Bullshit, I’m really tired of this nonsense. Someone, somewhere needs to be held accountable with jail time.

tenor

2 Likes

Well , lucky that I never had something on G+. Thx for sharing.

1 Like

It’s one thing to have a lapse in security protocols, we’re not ignorant here of that possibility but to knowingly hide that fact and sweep the issue under the rug… Is beyond bounds. They’re a pod of lying contemptuous bastards and I sincerely hope heads roll.

1 Like

Yep , like Volk s ex ceo in jail, but mostly all of them never have anything done to them .

1 Like

This is a joke on Googles part. They have known about this flaw for over three years and not done a thing about it.

I’m glad I am no longer a part of G+ and this has given me the push to finally completely ditch Google for anything else.

3 Likes

+1

I have long been of the opinion that CEOs should be legally responsible for the actions of the companies they manage — if a worker is killed then the boss should be facing a possible manslaughter charge, IMO.

Anyway, what is this strange “G+” of which you speak? :smiley:

4 Likes

Tip of the iceberg!

womp

4 Likes

Pretty much it I also sadly think @womp .

2 Likes

Haha :grin:

Having seven kids, I hadn’t realized how dependent I’d become upon social media and I suppose feel irked mostly for allowing myself to become duped into a false sense of security.

1 Like

Pretty much well said.

This is why I have hope for Mastodon, and moreover the protocol behind it ActivityPub. If you wanted you could start a family instance of Mastodon, but if your kids are like everyone else they might not want to sign up for yet another thing. “Just use FB/Insta/Twit/Snap or whatever else ‘everyone’ uses.”

Since Mastodon is using ActivityPub, you and the kids can follow people on other instances, but still stay in touch on the home timeline of the family instance. So I think it is worthwhile when the “Just use” argument above comes up. It’s protocol based like email, so we don’t have to be on the same service.

Anyway, I’ve drank the federation kool-aid and now I want to dump all the centralized advertising, I mean, social networks.

What is Mastodon?

Thx, will have a look , looks interesting. @sikkdays

How to use Mastodon.social

1 Like