For those of us crazy enough to use MS Edge, check this out

If you are one of those weirdos who uses MS Edge on Linux, here is a list of hosts to add to your /etc/hosts file to block the MS tracking, I refuse to install Edge so I am unable to test this:

To combat this, MS in their usual insidious fashion for those poor Windows users:

3 Likes

No worries, no plans to use it.

There’s a user on the BL forum - professional network administrator.

One of his posts was a semi-rant about Wondows 10 telemetry/updates. Said if didn’t know what was going on (he initiated the update) he would have thought his system was under a massive malware attack.

1 Like

Oh, a major M$ malware attack then ! lol

Man that’s crazy. Have you got a link to that thread?

No. But he did provide a link to a site similar to your post - how to edit your Windows host file.

I think the user was sunformiles (sun4miles?). He doesn’t post too often; mostly answers networking questions. Pretty smart guy. You may be able to find it searching his posts.

I’ll take a look.

On my new rig, I deleted MS Edge and now it shows that I may have a security risk. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Good way to frighten the ones with less knowledge into keeping Edge

2 Likes

What frighten me was having MS Edge.

3 Likes

“If you remove Microsoft Windows from your computer, we will not be able to provide support in case you encounter BSOD”

1 Like

lol, I d rather have that choice.

On top of that, I wonder if this is another way to lock people in to MS?

1 Like

Fuck amd

1 Like

More news from the world of MS. they really are a shit company. Just give people the choice to use what they want.

Looks like they were always like that but now it shows more.

1 Like

Well this worked great for me on Windows 10. Don’t have Windows 11 but will pass this on if people boot both Linux and Windows.

2 Likes

I thought the steps would be this.

1. Download ArchLabs Linux
  2. Write ArchLabs ISO to a USB drive, use Rufus if in Windows.
  3. Reboot computer, access startup or boot order, select option with USB drive - ArchLabs
  4. start “installer”
  5. Walk through ArchLabs installer, follow all the options.
  6. Reboot.
  7. Welcome to ArchLabs, a MS Edge free zone.
3 Likes

but… but… but… still under warranty for another 9 months… :wink:

2 Likes

I have purchased a number of computers over the last 16 or so years of Linux use. At no point as the warranty ever been something I have worried about when I install Linux on the new device the moment it is set up :smiley:

1 Like