Firewall GUI(gufw) Not Opening

Dear amazing members of Archlabs,

I have just installed this wonderful distro and am in love with it so far. After installation however, the firewall frontend refuses to launch. I have tried reinstalling it and also running it in the terminal but no cigar…
I received this error in the terminal:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_replace_virtual_modifiers: assertion ‘GDK_IS_KEYMAP (keymap)’ failed
/usr/sbin/gufw-pkexec: line 13: 2485 Segmentation fault (core dumped) python3 ${LOCATIONS[${i}]} $1

It should be noted that I opted to install i3-gaps for my window manager instead of openbox.

Sincerely,

Thrawn

This is a know bug that has not been fully addressed with in the gufw package. I have confirmed that there is a work around for this, and it is relatively simple to apply. As sudo or root you will need to edit the following file: -> /sbin/gufw

#!/bin/sh                    ## Do not modify
#c_user=$(whoami)            ##Comment Out
#pkexec gufw-pkexec $c_user  ##Comment Out

gksudo python /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gufw/gufw.py   ## Add 

This should solve your issue, keeping in mind that you have enabled the firewall, as it is not enabled by default.

3 Likes

Yeah I had trouble before with the firewall, you will also have to Jimmy your torrent engine when you use the firewall. Talk about face smash!

1 Like

Dear AvnSgt,

You’re soluton worked without a hitch. You have my thanks.

Thrawn

sevenday4,

How does one go about opening ports in this way? Torrenting is important for my workload.

Thrawn

You’re welcome @grandadmiralthrawn . Glad I could be of assistance.

First do a test and see if your torrent engine will work and let us see if your firewall will interfere or not. It did with me but, it may not with you. If it doesn’t, then we don’t want to break it. But if it does we will deal with it.

Hammer Smashed Face?

1 Like

Lol​:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:BRICKWALL!

1 Like

The firewall is indeed throttling my download and upload rate. What method should I use to remedy the problem?

Do you really need a firewall? I personally don’t bother with one.

Yes because I travel a lot and use this labtop on many public networks.

Got ya. I’ll come back to you on the throttling.

Wondering if this section in the Wiki can help

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uncomplicated_Firewall#Rate_limiting_with_ufw

This is rather complicated for me at my current level. If there isn’t an alternative way, then is there a way to turn on and off the firewall easilly? That way I could turn it off during torrenting and turn it on when I’m traveling?

I’m not familiar with this app in particular but when I was using windows I had a firewall app that you could just disable as required.

Is there a system tray icon? Can you right click and disable?

sorry ti took me so long to answer,trying to figure out this stupid scanning program for bin scanning. Anyway try this:
Enable Input Ports For Firewall

sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 6881:6999 -j ACCEPT

Enable Output Communication For Firewall

sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --source-port 6881:6999 -j ACCEPT

List BitTorrent Related Firewall Rules to check if our rules are put into iptables rules pack

sudo iptables -L | grep 68

Try this and lets see if it loosen somethings up a bit. God Bless

By the way this was used for BitTorrent which I do use. But it should work for Transmission or Deluge. I have everything crossed including my ears!:wink:

1 Like

Haha you are really amusing. I’m sorry but how do I do this? Am I supposed to add this to a config file?

1 Like

Ummm, how about using your terminal and inputting the lines for the iptables. The command you are going to be using is iptables.:flushed: