Everything?

So, I love AL, I really do. However, what I don’t love so much is the al-hello script. Now, I have changed the files to use yay instead of aurman, but what I can not, for the life of me, figure out is a way to script in a way to simply install everything that the script offers you. I test extensively in multiple environments and I have a very limited amount of time to sit and literally hit the buttons (3 kids).

Yes, I know this is very First World Problem of me, but you never know unless you ask right?

So, is there a way to add a way to simply download everything that is offered?

Hey Jamey

Let me see if I understand your question correctly, you’re looking for an install everything button? Like everything everything, or do you actually mean a subset of what is offered?

First up I would like to say, al-hello is being deprecated next release and will no longer be included, the reasoning for it will make more sense once the next release happens. So I would argue people using direct Arch based distros (not Manjaro/Antergos) get used to using pacman and the manual build process for AUR packages.

To script in a way of saying “Choose All” simply wrap the existing logic in the function configure() contained in /usr/bin/al-hello

configure() {

create_Dialog EVERYTHING "Install everything on offer"

# did we choose to have everything installed
    if [[ $EVERYTHING =~ [yY1] ]]; then
        Pkgs=(xfce4 pamac-aur xfce4-goodies xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin
        i3-gaps i3status perl-anyevent-i3 bspwm sxhkd awesome vicious rlwrap dex
        obmenu-generator perl-data-dump gtk2-perl perl-linux-desktopfiles
        hexchat pidgin weechat irssi google-chrome chromium opera qutebrowser
        atom sublime-text-dev emacs mousepad tilix terminator urxvt-perls xclip rxvt-unicode
        tilda xfce4-terminal termite pcmanfm nautilus nautilus-open-terminal
        nemo nemo-fileroller nemo-preview nemo-share xfburn simpleburn
        k3b xfce4-power-manager xfce4-notifyd pamac-aur etcher mintstick-git unetbootin etcher-cli
        spotify nicotine lollypop rhythmbox deadbeef clementine qt4 vlc
        gimp inkscape krita simplescreenrecorder obs-studio guvcview peek
        kdenlive kdebase-runtime dvdauthor frei0r-plugins breeze breeze-gtk breeze-icons
        openshot lwks libreoffice-still abiword calligra thunderbird geary
        evolution mutt deluge transmission-gtk qbittorrent gpick gcolor2 mpd ncmpcpp mpc
        cava s-tui slurm dropbox oomox wpgtk-git noto-fonts noto-fonts-cjk noto-fonts-emoji
        ttf-anonymous-pro ttf-font-awesome ttf-fira-code ttf-hack nerd-fonts-complete catfish
        gnome-disk-utility gnome-system-monitor plank docky cairo-dock evince zathura qpdfview
        mupdf steam linux-steam-integration steam-native-runtime dolphin-emu minecraft
        )
    else
        # otherwise run existing logic
        main_Dialogs

# check answers for each stage
        [[ $window_manager =~ [1-4] ]] && setup_Window_Manager
        [[ $btooth == [yY1] ]] && setup_Bluetooth
        [[ $printer == [yY1] ]] && setup_Printer
        [[ $defaults == [yY1] ]] && setup_Default_Packages
    fi

install_Selected_Packages
}

This doesnt quite do everything the script does, like setting up lightdm, which WM/DE to setup for login, etc…
But it comes pretty close for a catch all hack-type solution.

Another solution that’s almost the same is setting the value mapped to each of the variables to what you want done eg. dock=123 in this example the options given for docks was 1) plank 2) docky 3) cairo-dock so all you would do is add the function call setup_Default_Packages() to the new logic after setting all the variables instead of adding all the packages, then it will build the array of packages Pkgs() for you based on what value was mapped to each variable. See the function setup_Default_Packages() inside the file /usr/lib/archlabs/common/al-hello-installation to get a better idea of what variables do what.

Now if you’re looking for a simple “run this command” to install the packages on offer then here is the full list of packages used during the script (minus LTS kernel, bluetooth, and printer packages) you should be able to copy paste these after pacman -S
NOTE Not all of the packages are available to pacman, some are AUR packages.

xfce4 pamac-aur xfce4-goodies xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin
i3-gaps i3status perl-anyevent-i3 bspwm sxhkd awesome vicious rlwrap dex
obmenu-generator perl-data-dump gtk2-perl perl-linux-desktopfiles
hexchat pidgin weechat irssi google-chrome chromium opera qutebrowser
atom sublime-text-dev emacs mousepad tilix terminator urxvt-perls xclip rxvt-unicode
tilda xfce4-terminal termite pcmanfm nautilus nautilus-open-terminal
nemo nemo-fileroller nemo-preview nemo-share xfburn simpleburn
k3b xfce4-power-manager xfce4-notifyd pamac-aur etcher mintstick-git unetbootin etcher-cli
spotify nicotine lollypop rhythmbox deadbeef clementine qt4 vlc
gimp inkscape krita simplescreenrecorder obs-studio guvcview peek
kdenlive kdebase-runtime dvdauthor frei0r-plugins breeze breeze-gtk breeze-icons
openshot lwks libreoffice-still abiword calligra thunderbird geary
evolution mutt deluge transmission-gtk qbittorrent gpick gcolor2 mpd ncmpcpp mpc
cava s-tui slurm dropbox oomox wpgtk-git noto-fonts noto-fonts-cjk noto-fonts-emoji
ttf-anonymous-pro ttf-font-awesome ttf-fira-code ttf-hack nerd-fonts-complete catfish
gnome-disk-utility gnome-system-monitor plank docky cairo-dock evince zathura qpdfview
mupdf steam linux-steam-integration steam-native-runtime dolphin-emu minecraft

I realize this isn’t much of a solution but I’ll say it again, al-hello was a mistake. People should learn the process and follow the wiki to set up their system, if they aren’t able to do this effectively then true Arch based distros likely aren’t the right choice for them.

You can put lipstick on a pig all you want, but at the end of the day it’s still a pig.

Cheers

Yep , in this age, people are assuming that everything needs to be aquired easily & right here right now,

I might continue to use aurman, wonder what s so bad about al-hello script.We are lucky that some people with the knowledge is doing it, much easier on every one.

If one wants to use yay, I guess they need to make the scripts themselves or wait for someone that put it somewhere over the interweb.

Usually on Arch everything needs to be done by the installer, something I never did, don t have the patience & the will to learn on my side even if I m on Linux only since 2008sh .

The easiest way would be to reinstall , that way you would be able to install everything as well.

Edit: typos

Two things.

First, thank you for your reply, I know it was a pretty asinine request, to begin with, but I will explain in a little more depth why I wanted it to begin with.

I love to mix and match and try as hard as I can to break things. the more configuration files one has installed, in theory, the more chance there is for errors and that is what I love. I love to find and solve the bugs that every program has in one way or the other.

Oddly enough, on my main system, I build everything from source. I love the experience, I love messing with flags and all of the little intricacies that any form of *nix provides the technological tinkerers of the world.

Secondly, and this is in reply to @altman as well. I don’t dislike the al-hello script, and now that I reread what I wrote originally I can see where that was inferred and for that, I apologize to the author/s of it.

I am impatient and sometimes reinstall ArchLabs ten times in a single day, both in VM and live, to see what differing combinations do, what stresses I can put my machine under, and, well, because sometimes I press Y when I really should have pressed N.

Lastly, I agree with your thoughts on removing it from the next release, learning is a pain in the a**, but once you do it is a freedom that is incredible.

I think I covered everything.

TLDR: I Love Arch Labs. I am impatient. Thank You.

Thx for the reply in there @TheJameyBear , One thing that I might suggest is trying to be more patient , it s good for mostly everything in life. I don t want to sound bad, maybe your intenetions weren t also, but when we type sometimes we go too fast & maybe get mixed in our thoughts, It s what I m thinking right now.

I know reinstalling sux especially when one has loads of apps installed , I have had reinstalled numerous times I know what you mean here.

As stated above, just try to be more patient.lol

Yea I know what you’re saying.

Hopefully I did actually answer your question though :stuck_out_tongue:

If your looking to test out and break stuff there is always the installer and the testing/unstable repo is usually is up to date with this so if you have them enabled a simple pacman -Sy archlabs-installer would probably be enough to break it XD

Catch you around

Don’t worry about it man, Jamey has contributed to the project in the past and was just asking some questions, he doesn’t need or want a life lesson.

@natemaia, It s alright the op explaned it in his following post. It s getting clearer.lol

Edit:It wasn t targeted at JameyBear himself, but mostly to people in general.I might also add that there are exceptions to that rule.

@TheJameyBear, you almost sound like someone who works in process control or quality process control. There’s also testing control. Do you actually work as testing technologist somewhere? Just curious. When ever I design something, we had a department that is quality control and testing. They also have the same qualities. :thinking::grin:

In a matter of speaking, yes I am a quality control technologist. I am not a fan of my job. While I get to break things every single hour of the day, they ship it down the line, metaphorically, to the guys who get to fix the issues.

Yeah, for a time I was doing some of the fixing if issues were found by quality control. Then later, started working in R&D. But, quality control’s job is to see how something will fail and how. I rather do R&D any time. Working in sustainability department was a circus, especially when something comes to your desk over and over again. I had something come to my desk at least, and this isn’t a joke, 30 times where one wanted to change something, then the second person wanted it changed back to the original. Finally had to call a meeting with all involved, and stop this nonsense. Yeah, I’d rather do R&D, no doubt.

keep al-hello, or maybe something like a welcome screen and such.

im starting to love the minimalist of openbox, yeah its a DIY thing, but AL has made it easy to use and probably even beginners afraid of the word “openbox” would start loving it. to be honest i tried a few other openbox distro and i still comeback to Al, for me it more complete out-of-the box.