ArchLabs Linux

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish

I have never been a fan of Microsoft involvement with Linux especially of their past history on their stance towards Linux in general and I am staring to feel that we are currently in the “Extend” phase of the MS mission.

This is just a feeling and I have no facts but this article sort of sheds some light on things

Upfront, MS seem to really care about Linux, but who says that in the background they aren’t working towards its eventual destruction?

I know they can never kill Linux completely but I do believe they have the ability to stop it from growing any further.

The Wikipedia article on the three E’s. In my mind I also believe that Google employee this mindset and practice.

4 Likes

It s never good for either privacy &/or Linux when M$ s behing involved, wonder what happened , they used to see Linux as a plague, now they see it as $$$$$$$$$ , besides other things.

If linus goes and microsoft gains access to linux kernel development it would not be good.

They have already gained access to one of the main tools used in development that being github so next step is rather obvious perhaps.

This is why i have been learning how to use BSD’s as best i can, i just need hardware that plays nicely with it.

I’ve had good luck with FreeBSD and Dragonfly BSD in that regard.

Will be interesting to see if a lot of linux developers leave for BSD projects - or fork the linux kernel if MS keeps encroaching.

I remember when MS did the same sort of thing to Novell back around 2000. No surprise it’s a Novell guy pushing this.

2 Likes

Mine was always buggy due to having an older nvidia card, but last time i tried hardenebsd that is based from Freebsd it seemed to work ok. Dragonfly bsd got updated recently and they have a few more mirrors for binary packages this year too, giving that one a try soon as it happens.

Another good thing about dragonfly bsd as they really know how to squash down there images into bzip2 format, 2GB down to roughly 300MB .bzip

Does anyone else feel the same way as me or am I being suspicious?

One’s never suspicious enough if it comes to M$.

2 Likes

I don’t fully trust their intentions. It’s to much to believe they are embracing something that once was referred to as ‘cancer’.

As I stated many times, I’m not one of, as you said, “security conscious” people. But I don’t trust them at all. I believe their objective is to destroy the enemy from inside.

Yup me too, hence my thread title :smiley:

1 Like

More like assimilate them - hence all the Bill Gates as a Borg memes. They’ve been doing so to Novell for years..

See it in other industries as well; a company with a lot of cash buys into another company that is floundering. The floundering company usually has some expertise or property position beneficial to the buyer. Microsoft also bought Realplayer (back in the day) and Skype didn’t they?

Some day, you may be able to install MS-Suse for free (but only on one machine); however, you’ll have to lease Suse-Office for US $100/year.

1 Like

I do hope not to live long enough.

1 Like

Their greed is infinite. They want to appropriate the future

3 Likes

They lost to Android. They lost to iOS. They need some victory for a PowerPoint presentation at the shareholders meeting.

3 Likes

This would not surprise me at all.

I think they doing it to have nice features, See the new windows terminal, It is very much like linux terminal now :slight_smile: Having linux kernel also helps with different file systems etc.

Yeah, it’s open source 'cos M$ have figured out that they can get their customers to pay and help develop their software as well.

It’s all part of the three E’s.

MS is doing this because they do what every company does when it’s gotten too BIG. They go for monopoly.