EFI Boot

Hi everyone…
So here is my problem, I installed archlabs on my MacAir 2011 (works way better with Linux) and everything was working GREAT for a while (many months) but one day I could not boot again into ArchLabs.
So I’ve had to work on MAC for some time and it’s driving me nuts; I don’t want to reinstall cause I had configured everything to my heart’s content.
So I booted the AL latest ISO and chroot into my system, what I found what I think is causing my problem is that in the efibootmgr, here is the output

So the BootCurrent is 0000 but as you can see, there is no device 0000.

Boot0080* -> MAC
Boot0001* -> Recovery OS (Mac)
Boot0002* -> ArchLabs (this is the one that BootCurrent should point to)
BootFFFF*-> Is if I’m not mistaken swap.

So far I’ve tried to “edit” with efibootmgr but with no luck.
Hope someone can help, I’de hate to start from scratch and have it happened again.

What did you try, exactly?

That will probably be for the ArchLabs live USB stick.

Can we see

efibootmgr -v

^ That will show exactly what is being booted from each entry.

1 Like

I tried to change the order with:

efibootmgr -o 0082,0080,0081

here the output of efi… -v

Looks like you have two EFI system partitions, is that the case?

This will pipe the command output to a pastebin and return a URL that you can post here instead of a picture:

parted --list | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io 

got it!
http://ix.io/2r9a

No, just the single ESP. Apparently OS X keeps the EFI loader on the system partition, I didn’t know that.

I suppose you could try deleting the Mac boot entries:

efibootmgr -b 80 -B
efibootmgr -b 81 -B

But only try that if you can boot OS X from the ArchLabs bootloader.

Does the Mac firmware (“BIOS”) have an option to boot from a specific NVRAM entry?

when I chroot I have to mount /dev/sda3 on /mnt and /dev/sda1 on /mnt/boot. When I installed AL I selected the boot on the 1st partition, is this why?

Yes, I could boot MAC from the AL bootloader…

When I Boot the mac with the “option” key, instead of booting into MAC it lets me choose to boot EFI, other than that, I don’t know.

Ok, So I tried it, I removed the partitions like you suggested.
The computer boots directly into MAC (no buttons pressed), so when I boot it with option key to select the EFI boot, it simply reverts back to MAC…
caught a little video here…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ma1sMy7uv5BW3i9g9

Don’t know what else to do.

I’m a little bit lost here because I’m allergic to Macs (can’t touch them without feeling sick and coming out in a rash) so I have no idea how their boot process works.

Which bootloader did you select when installing ArchLabs? We can try reinstalling it from the live image and see if that helps.

LOL

I understand… no worries.
Should I than launch the installer and skip until the end and try to reinstall the bootloader? is this possible?

I’m not sure tbh. I was thinking we could just install the bootloader manually, it’s not very complicated.

Which bootloader did you select?