Dual booting with windows 7

I thought that command “sudo update-grub” will be enough to make dual booting real. When I type this in console it says: Command not found (???). I have also tried to add an entry file at /etc/grub.d/ like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the

menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change

the ‘exec tail’ line above.

menuentry “Windows 7” {
set root =’(hd1,2)’
chainloader +1
}

But I do not even see it in grub menu, any ideas?

Hello @poiseman and welcome to the forum, I am assuming you installed Archlabs when Windows 7 was already installed and you have an efi partition and the partition with your Windows 7 was detectable during the install.
Can you confirm all fo the above?
Also I can see from your previous post that you are using the iso 2018.02; you should really try This One

1 Like

The update-grub script isn’t part of an Arch install; for ArchLabs it is set up as a alias in your ~/.zshrc:

alias grubup=‘sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg’

so you can use “grubup”.

What is your partition and harddrive lay out? This line:

set root =’(hd1,2)’

may be set to the wrong partition. You also need to update grub after making a custom entry.

You may have to load a couple modules to for Windows partitions - Gentoo Wiki has some good examples.

Hopefully grubup sets up your Windows install so you won’t need a custom entry.

That’s all what I needed :smiley: Everything works now.

hd1,2 = sdb3 - where windows bootloader is located

@pippo I’m not sure if I have efi partition but, nevermind @PackRat helped me. 2018.02 version works well, even after all updates, should I format it? :frowning:

You most likely do not have an efi partition with Windows 7 (I’m not sure if Windows 7 is even UEFI aware, maybe Vista); that came in with Windows 8. You can check with:

lsblk

in a terminal. Some factory installs have a rescue partition so the boot partition for Windows can vary, makes writing a custom entry tricky.

2018.02 version works well, even after all updates, should I format it?

No, you are up to date. Like Arch, ArchLabs is also rolling release. Although, you may want to get the latest stable release - 2018.06 - and save yourself some upgrade time. on future installs.

Or go with the testing release (more bleeding edge) that pippo linked; I use that, it’s running without issues.

2 Likes

Greeting @poiseman and welcome :slight_smile:

Happy PackRat was able to help with your issue but please don’t be so easily dismissive and heed the sound advice @pippo has given you. If the testing or another more recent release of ArchLabs doesn’t (for whatever reason) work for you, then by all means use what does. However, there have been many improvements over time with both the installer and the system.

Again, welcome aboard :slight_smile:

2 Likes