Dual boot feedback

A coworker of mine currently runs Ubuntu. He wants to try Arch (I suggested either Manjaro and Endevor).

The question I can’t answer for him is that in order for him to dual boot, what is the best way to install one of the Arch systems on a second drive and to ensure his current grub will see the new OS so he boots from there opposed to his bios

My condolences to them, that must be just awful.

So you don’t like them then?

Install Arch by following the official guide, don’t bother with the bootloader step and just reboot into Ubuntu and add a stanza to the end of /etc/grub.d/40_custom to boot Arch,.

Something like this should work presuming the LTS kernel is used (which would be my recommendation)

menuentry 'Arch' {
   search --fs-uuid --set=root $uuid
   linux /boot/vmlinuz-lts root=UUID=$uuid rw quiet
   initrd /boot/$cpu-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-lts.img
}

Replace $uuid with the actual UUID of the Arch root partition, replace $cpu with either intel or amd depending on their processor type (install either the intel-ucode or amd-ucode package during installation ofc) and remember to update the GRUB configuration afterwards in Ubuntu:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I do not recommend the Arch installer on their ISO image or any other automated installers because manual installation teaches the user how to recover the system from even the most egregious of b0rkage and it’s a lot easier than people seem to think.

2 Likes

LOL - love the comments!
I suggested vbox or even kvm but it appears the system he want to use is of low resources and would prefer not to spend any extra monies.

This is good info as I suspect, I’ll be the one that does this for him.
Many thanks on this, HoaS

Don’t do that. If they can’t install it themselves then they probably shouldn’t be running Arch. It’s not if the system will break at some point, it’s just a question of when

3 Likes

Classic @Head_on_a_Stick!

2 Likes