DK Window Manager

Most certainly :smiley:

You added the module name to the spot you want it in the [bar/....] section?
eg.

modules-left   = xworkspaces ...
modules-center = ...
modules-right  = ...

Can always grab our existing configs and use that for testing/starting out (that’s what I did to test it out quickly)

# clone the repo and copy the configs/scripts
git clone https://bitbucket.org/archlabslinux/pkgbuilds
cp -rf pkgbuilds/archlabs-polybar/configs/* ~/.config/polybar/
cp pkgbuilds/archlabs-polybar/scripts/* /SOMEWHERE/ON/PATH/

# fix up the include file paths
sed -i "s~/root~${HOME}~g" ~/.config/polybar/config

# start the "daemon" scripts and a polybar bar with the ewmh module
# you likely will use the systray and networkmanager applet so this is unneeded
# check-network & disown
check-update & disown
polybar openbox-bar & disown

# PROFIT

I needed to change include-file =, but it looks very well now. Thanks!

I think it’s the polybar ewmh module. The label-occupied doesn’t work with openbox, fluxbox, yaxwm.

The equivalent command for bspwm and i3 specific modules works.

1 Like

Ahh right forgot about this, damn polybar doesn’t allow anything other than absolute paths for the include so we could never just use $HOME.

Polybar partially works, better or worse, but I’d be much more comfortable with waybar. Configuring polybar is PITA.

All these “simple” bars are a bitch to configure imo.

2 Likes

LOL! It pisses me off by showing workspaces once several restarts - randomly. I could also name more reasons.

1 Like

Having spent last 2 weeks on various WMs, I must say this: the most comfortable tiling in the world is sway / i3 with my autotiling (24 SLOC). You just need to focus a window and the rest is being done automagically.

tint2 looks very well with yax, but sucks when you move a window to another workspace: it disappears. Maybe I could configure it better…

I’ve been on dwm-like tiliers for going on 2 years now (i3 for a year prior to that) and it’s really to each their own. i3 and bsp are definitely the most widely used and best supported when it comes to being full featured I just don’t like their tiling style (tree vs list) and how large they are.

I believe so, you need to make all the workspaces visible by enabling the “Show a taskbar for each desktop” option in the taskbar section of tint2conf or you can do

# assuming your tint2rc is at ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc
sed -i 's/\(taskbar_mode =\).*/\1 multi_desktop/' ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc
pkill tint2 && tint2 >/dev/null 2>&1 & disown

1 Like

Some major updates and changes to the wm over the last week.

Most of the configuration done via editing the config header is gone in favour of a bsp-like approach, commands can be output to a fifo pipe by using any program that can write to a file. yaxcmd is a tiny included program that does nothing but write it’s input to the fifo in one shot but you can also use whatever you like.

Yax no longer handles keybinds/hotkeys (other than configurable mouse grab binds for move/resize), controlling the wm can now be done by writing commands to the fifo pipe with any program that can do so: shell, sxhkd, etc.

Since most of the configuration can now be done dynamically, yax will also execute a “config” (really just a shell script much like bspwm) where things like border width, colour, gaps, window rules, etc. can be changed. As an added benefit this file can be re-executed via a command to reload the wm and apply changes without shifting windows around and re-executing the entire wm.

Currently the command syntax is very simple, containing only 5 primary keywords with each requiring an arbitrary amount of additional arguments they know how to use. Documentation on the commands is non-existent at this point :crazy_face: but for those trying it out, example rc files for both yaxwm and sxhkd can be found in the doc directory of the repo or in /usr/share/doc/yaxwm once installed. They contain some examples of what’s possible with the current commands.

Many things are still missing and I have a few ideas for others but please feel free to make requests.

Cheers

2 Likes

Thank you for update @natemaia
It’s getting better and better all the time.

yaxcmd in a terminal produces:

yaxcmd: unable to get file path from YAXWM_FIFO

does the fifo need to be defined when starting the window manager?

Otherwise, yaxwm is running fine.

You shouldn’t have to, I haven’t. It will define and export if it isn’t already, will find what’s up later today.

1 Like

Seems like the pipe is causing the wm to hog one thread entirely, will look into it tonight.

3 Likes

Ok, switched to socket and cpu usage is back to normal.

1 Like

With current (as of 5 March) version I can’t log into the window manager. I see a quick flash of the wallpaper, then the X server quits with this message:

couldn’t access control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: No such file or directory
xinit: connection to X server lost.

I was failing on my previous install, and now on a clean install of the beta iso.

If I log into fluxbox, that file exists (is created).

I’m not sure, that’s not a file or error message from yax though. Lemme look into it and post back.

Ok fixed it and a few other issues in the process. Really appreciate the heads up, had all my config commented out so I just never noticed it, won’t be doing that anymore.

@natemaia I was just playing with yax and I was wondering if there’s some command to view the next and previous non-empty workspaces. Something like bspwm’s bspc desktop -f {prev,next}.occupied.local and a command to cycle through the previous viewd workspace like the alt-tab functionality.