DK Window Manager

that’s actually what I did but I can’t seem to find a way to make it show the occupied tags. Can you show me your ewmh module?

After further investigation: if the pointer there’s on the secondary screen:

left_margin, top_margin == 0, 0

instead of

left_margin, top_margin == 1920, 0

For this to work on yaxwm, I would need to place the pointer on the secondary screen and win.move(0, 0), which is actually valid for the primary display.

Do you mean how to set the active monitor, if a window doesn’t set the net desktop atom we assign it to the currently active one. Will try it out tonight so I have a better idea of what you’re talking about

I’m not sure what you mean. On my side it works like this:

1. I detect currently selected screen w/ python-pynput (after the pointer position);
  2. display_geometry(win, wm, mouse_pointer) returns (x=1920, y=0, w=1920, h=1080) for the secondary display;
  3. for top left corner I move the window to 1920, 0 (actually to 1921, 0, otherwise the manu gravity is wrong in i3);
  4. 1920, 0 turns out to be out of the secondary display on yaxwm. Expected values are 0, 0, which is not true in any other WM.

Correction! I’ve just set up dwm at home, on dual-headed display, and it behaves exactly the same way.

This means that I’d need to detect if the current WM is dwm / yaxwm and move the window accordingly.

in the polybar thread.

Doesn’t work showing the occupied window.

1 Like

Resolved on my side.

Sorry chaps, just gonna move this one to another category because this is far from “off topic” chat :smiley:

3 Likes

Guys, does anyone have w polybar config /module / whatever capable of showing workspaces in yaxwm? I’ve never used polybar and no idea where to start from.

Follow my link to the polybar thread a few posts above. For some reason though, the
“label-occupied” options are not working for yaxwm and some other window managers.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m afraid it displays nothing on my install, but probably I need some porter to make it work :slight_smile:

I’ve been looking into this and I’m not sure if it’s something on my end I’m doing wrong or if it’s the polybar ewmh module

Most certainly :smiley:

You added the module name to the spot you want it in the [bar/....] section?
eg.

modules-left   = xworkspaces ...
modules-center = ...
modules-right  = ...

Can always grab our existing configs and use that for testing/starting out (that’s what I did to test it out quickly)

# clone the repo and copy the configs/scripts
git clone https://bitbucket.org/archlabslinux/pkgbuilds
cp -rf pkgbuilds/archlabs-polybar/configs/* ~/.config/polybar/
cp pkgbuilds/archlabs-polybar/scripts/* /SOMEWHERE/ON/PATH/

# fix up the include file paths
sed -i "s~/root~${HOME}~g" ~/.config/polybar/config

# start the "daemon" scripts and a polybar bar with the ewmh module
# you likely will use the systray and networkmanager applet so this is unneeded
# check-network & disown
check-update & disown
polybar openbox-bar & disown

# PROFIT

I needed to change include-file =, but it looks very well now. Thanks!

I think it’s the polybar ewmh module. The label-occupied doesn’t work with openbox, fluxbox, yaxwm.

The equivalent command for bspwm and i3 specific modules works.

1 Like

Ahh right forgot about this, damn polybar doesn’t allow anything other than absolute paths for the include so we could never just use $HOME.

Polybar partially works, better or worse, but I’d be much more comfortable with waybar. Configuring polybar is PITA.

All these “simple” bars are a bitch to configure imo.

2 Likes

LOL! It pisses me off by showing workspaces once several restarts - randomly. I could also name more reasons.

1 Like

Having spent last 2 weeks on various WMs, I must say this: the most comfortable tiling in the world is sway / i3 with my autotiling (24 SLOC). You just need to focus a window and the rest is being done automagically.