EDIT: Following a large update I’ve changed the name of yax to dk (pronounced de·cay), anyone interested in the old version can check old commits of the repo. I’ve updated the links.
I’ve been working on a window manager since Dec 2019 and it’s finally at a point where I feel ok making it public. Even though I am using it as my daily driver this should still be considered very alpha software and you should expect issues/unwanted behaviour, if you do experience this please post an issue here on or on the tracker linked below, I use a limited set of applications so many issues will go unnoticed unless others bring them to my attention.
It’s a dynamic, layout based tiling window manager, loosely based off dwm (from scratch, not forked) so you kinda know what to expect. yax has more features and supports more freedesktop standards so integration with other programs should be less problematic.
Some noteworthy features are:
- Fully scriptable.
- Dynamic or static workspaces.
- More dynamic tile layout.
- Gaps, fancy borders, extra layouts and more.
- Better support for mouse and floating windows.
- Startup script for configuration and running programs.
- More layouts and improved tile layout, eg. for a workspace with 6 windows,
nmasterset to 1 and
nstackset to 2, we would get:
------------------- | | | s2 | | | s1 |----| | M |----| s2 | | | s1 |----| | | | s2 | -------------------
Check the project README for installation instructions and more info.
I’ll continue to update this post as things change.
Known Issues/ Things being worked on:
- Better support for taskbars displaying the correct windows/workspace on the correct monitor regardless of whether it’s active or not.
I learned almost everything I know about window management from dwm and that was only possible because of how short and well written it is, I’m trying (but failing) to keep yax like that.
Make a post here or on the issue tracker.