DIY modular laptop?

Who would need it? The price tag is a little too high.

Modular Laptop

1 Like

not me…

1 Like

Me neither. Too expensive and one year warranty …

RAM and SSD’s are easy enough to replace, but to upgrade CPU’s and GPU’s is a nice selling point, and laptops are now being manufactured with RAM being soldered in, as well as not being able to replace the CPU in case of failure.

People however in general when it comes to shopping for a laptop prefer less moving parts, and I’d rather the code being optimized to run on chips that require less power and resources in order to maximize portability in battery life. If I can cut in Final Cut with a Mac Air with an M1 for a few hours without being tethered to an AC outlet, or say edit and upload my content that I shot at a sports event to the AP working as a photo journalist at the Super Bowl, well I have enough moving parts already with cameras, lenses, tripods, and batteries, and if I can pull a Mac Air out of my backpack kit and work all my content while eating a sandwich in the media tent, then what’s what I buy.

Not easy to replace CPU & GPU though, the MB has to be compatible. In terms of bringing max out the CPU & battery, nobody can beat Apple. I still think Mac OS is the best desktop system we have today.

1 Like

The M1 is a bit of a game changer, if you can do content creation like you would using say an i5 or i7 but at a lower price point with extended battery life and it not getting thermal under load, then that’s what I want despite the OS (which I agree with you about Mac OS).

Not cheap.
Dual booting is easier.
Only intel cpu’s no AMD.

They have tried to do modular with handsets/smartphones, but being that people can’t manage cables and chargers, I mean what R&D department can look at sales and marketing and say “Well, we might have a deal with Tower Markets merchandising RAM next to the sunglasses in the rotating display where all the aftermarket headphones, smartphone chargers, and iPhone cases are, but our forecast is predicated always on viability and what is essential, and of course the mobile space is more iPad and app stores. I just can’t order 50 camera modules for proprietary hardware that only 50 people might buy”.

For that type of $ … it’s hard to pass up a Thinkpad. :man_in_tuxedo:

1 Like

macOS is very good and secure system (shitty on privacy) but a hog IMHO. Sitting idle, it takes up 9-11 GB of RAM. And I thought GNOME is a hog at over 1GB.

EDIT: battery is so-so. apple’s planned obsolescence of 5-6 years also puts me off from buying the mac book pro for personal use.

Thinkpads are the greatest IMHO. Don’t have to be stuck with only thunderbolt ports like mac book pros. Gets the job done at 1/3 the price. If you are lucky and get a refurbished one, even less than that. I’m saving up for a T-series myself so I can get more RAM for VMs I’m running.

1 Like

@leo00

Yep, I think they’re pretty competitive. But, there are alot of choices. The two standout positives are the military spec durability & the maintenance. They’re hard(er) to destroy and individual parts are both available & easy peasy to replace.

1 Like