Dell Latitude E6430 bcm43228 no wifi

Hi!
I bought a Dell Lat. E6430 for 100$ at a net auction. I thought I made a good deal. Read about Dell Latitude. They all seem to work, but wifi on mine …
The wifi card is a bcm43228 and I have installed b43 driver. (according to database)
ip link set wlp2s0 up gets me so far that the wifi light on the laptop lights up for 15 seconds and then it stops. When I try again I get: RTNETLINK answers: Operation not possible due to RF-kill. Read about unblocking .
After boot :
archlabs-dell ~ % rfkill list all
1: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
2: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Hard blocked: no
3: phy0: Wireless LAN
I see no wireless networks and I try ip link… wifi lights up for 15 sec and dies. After that phy0 is Hard blocked yes.
Is this possible to fix?
I do not know where to start?

womp

@womp Have you looked at online docs regarding make and model? Specifically for either a wireless disabling switch on the case somewhere or a combination of keybinds.

2 Likes

Have you checked the Arch Forum? There are some threads in there about rfkill and unlocking wireless. I don’t know if there is an rfkill entry in the ArchWiki.

2 Likes

@womp - are you dual booting with Windows 8/10? That can also cause issues with the wireless getting locked. A security feature of Windows is conflicting with Linux. One of the Arch Forum’s threads gets into that.

Well the old man is home from work and now I have gotten a bit futher. (I hope!)
I changed a few things in bios and now I have wifi light above the keyboard. That should mean that wifi is active right?
No wifi is showing in nm-dmenu (inpolybar) so I try wifi-menu now I can actually see my network but when I connect I get “Job for netctl@wlp2s0b1\x2dBra_skit.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status “netctl@wlp2s0b1\x2dBra_skit.service”” and “journalctl -xe” for details.”
Systemctl and journalctl gives me the really wise message that netctl@… failed with no actual hint. I like to use networkmanager instead of netctl.

Oh one more thing: rfkill list
1: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
Hard blocked: yes
2: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
3: hci0: Bluetooth
4: phy0: Wireless LAN

dell-wifi wlan is hardblocked
phy0 wlan is not

I do not understand this.

womp

Hi now I am here again!
Thank you Glenn and Thank you PackRat!
Matter is now solved.
I searched of and on for a hardware switch in the laptop yesterday evening but I couldn’t find anything but a few minutes ago I found it. It was off so it didn’t matter that light was on, the switch had to be on too. Now it is working! Now I am beginning to think I did a good deal!

womp

2 Likes

Happy to hear you’ve got it sorted @womp.
:smile:

1 Like