ArchLabs Linux

Deepin vs Plasma

So this is a bit of a multi-part post.

Firstly, I’ve been thinking about trying out a DE lately (still not 100% but I think it’d be a nice change for a bit) and I’m stuck between deepin and plasma - your thoughts and/or experience on either would appreciated.

Secondly, would anyone be interested in having deepin available as an option during install?

Cheers

Not much of my cup of tea for a while but I would choose Plasma.

I have never used Deepin. So I have no comment on that but I do quite like Plasma.

I wouldn’t complain if Deepin was available for those who want it.

Yea I tried out their latest and it’s actually really nice, I’d best describe it as the in-between of gnome and plasma. There’s not as much menus or customization as in plasma but much more than in gnome. Everything is also quite snappy and the system resources aren’t heavily taxed.

1 Like

Let’s do it then!

Someone in the deepinenespanol forum mentioned that this leaked UOS beta iso is for Huawei devices and I was thinking it is intended for those Huawei laptops (and tablets) with 2k-4k screens and touch controls. Smallest font size option is 11 and scaling can’t be set below 1. Looks cramped on my 1080p monitor. Hoping something more compact shows up. I’ll miss the side control panel that they have perfected only to give it up and switch to windowed.

Plasma is really nice and snappy with cool desktop effects but too many options to tweak the UI is such a distraction for this tweaker so I use elementary and possibly deepin. Fewer options and a mostly locked UI does have its advantage.

1 Like

My issue with that beta is that it’s Ubuntu based and lacks most software packages. I wanna stay within the arch repos.

I think you’re right though deepin has a cleaner and more concise interface and applications.

1 Like

Pretty sure it will trickle down to Arch after its release like before.

Plasma is not for me, but thanks anyway.
Cheers

We might as well add Budgie while we are at it.