Damned you... DWM

As a past user of I3 and my first WM, why can’t I find a way to do something like the Mod v so that I can open a horizontal terminal…

That is the ONLY problem I have with my beloved DWM.
Is it enough for me to switch back - I can’t answer that right now… and to be honest, I don’t want to answer that.

So, has anyone seen how this can be done - and I don’t mean resizing the master either. I read too many
“horizontal split” threads to know it hasn’t been done… Yet.

Take a look at the bottomstack patch for dwm at suckless.org. Is that what you’re trying to accomplish?

Also, there is the “great dwm hacking thread” on the Arch forum. It is not a help thread. Someone in that thread may have, or know of a patch to do what you want.

1 Like

One of the default key binds for dwm is to add to the master area - not resize, actually add a second master. Use that key binding, then the next window opened will be horizontal.

2 Likes

Something like this dwm - dynamic window manager | suckless.org software that sucks less

1 Like

DK is the savior. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

3 Likes

I applied the “bottomstack” patch. This DOES accomplish what I would like to do.
It’s not perfect as it does not honor the gaps feature but, it could be something I can live with.

UPDATE:
Ok - I see I need to add another patch that will honor the layout in a particular tag.
Meh - enough for the moment.

1 Like

I’ll have to look into this one also since I know I won’t be happy with the patch mentioned above.
The ADD in me won’t let me forget that, lol

Thank you sir!

1 Like

Which gap feature? As I recall it worked with the uselessgaps patch.

3 Likes

Im using fullgaps atm.

1 Like