Cutefish Desktop

I have been playing around a bit with a new (unreleased, but pretty functional Desktop). It’s really quite fast and light. FWIW it is here: https://cutefishos.com

1 Like

A quick glance. The UI design looks a lot like CyberOS.

Not a whole lotta info on that website, dug around a little more on what it’s based on:

As you might’ve read already, CutefishOS is based on Manjaro Linux fueled by its in-house desktop environment called Cutefish Desktop Environment (CDE). It looks similar to JingOS made for tablets and computers with touch input and JingPad A1 that we covered before.

CDE?? That’s doesn’t resemble CDE to me, well because…

Design-wise, the OS resembles macOS and iPad OS a lot. Heck! Even the PulseAudio sound control app has the Apple Music logo on it, with the only difference being a gear embedded in the logo. Well, it’s in the beta unstable state, and I think it’s too early to comment on anything at this point as everything is very unpolished.

Ya got it:

CutefishOS also looks like a fork of CyberOS with just a different name.

It is for people who like Manjaro Linux and macOS’s theming. This isn’t stable, but you install DDE on Manjaro if you’re really into macOS-like theming. If you’re interested, check this guide out from the people at over Manjaro, or you can try CyberOS, which is also an Arch-based distro.

Actually it is affiliated with JingOS… The DE has nothing to do with manjaro other than I suppose you can install the Cutefish DE on manjaro. Cutefish seems intended as a DE not really as a spin. It’s development is arch-based. There are three related projects all headquartered in Beijing (and 2 are also headquartered in Mountain View). At least that’s what I seem to remember from my reading.

https://twitter.com/cutefishos

1 Like

I don’t see it more advantageous to GNOME 40 or even PopOS’s new desktop. Then again, I don’t theme or try to replicate MacOS or iOS on any of my Linux installations, so there is that. GNOME 40 in by itself works great with a touchscreen, you can swipe desktops with ease and launch apps just like a tablet, yet the apps themselves should be also touch capable, or the platform that hosts them, like iOS and Android.

To me the best workflow when one uses a keyboard is to keep the hands away from the mouse or screen. GNOME 40 as a DE is much better than the previous version, it’s much faster and lighter if one doesn’t have to depend on the buggy extensions that lag. I forget what PopOS has named their new desktop, but I think from what I viewed on Tyler’s Tech review of it, it has baked in stuff like Dash to Dock already in it.

Plasma has made it so users can replicate the look and feel of MacOS, which already sort of existed with elementary’s OS, and with Plasma, you can also replicate Windows 10 and 11. With MacOS however, setting your desktop and computer environment is much less convoluted and in the weeds. The reason why I don’t use a DE in Linux is because I can use config files instead. I use Openbox and i3 mostly, bspwm sometimes, and now getting into Sway. When I purchase a new second or third generation Mac Mini (the one with the M2 chip), am I not going to try to make it like my Linux desktops. I hardly used the dock in both OS X or MacOS, I used the keyboard mostly.

My whole idea when it came to a computer desktop changed when I started using Crunchbang years ago when it first came out, but that was only in Linux. The only thing was influenced by it on both my Windows and Apple desktops was dark mode, and I was doing that before Crunchbang anyway. I like my computer platforms to be disparate from each other. Besides, Apple does MacOS better than any desktop in Linux that tries to emulate it as far as UI. However,Linux does Win 10 better than MS does, but I don’t replicate 10 or 11 in Linux anyway.

As a cell phone avoider… I am ambivalent. In many ways over the year, I have found xfce most useful in my use-case. But of late, I am pretty settled on i3wm as being quick, reliable, and functional.

2 Likes