Custom App Launcher - Rofi

Good Day Community,

I am trying to create a custom launcher for Basilisk for Rofi to see. I am pretty sure I have it all sorted, but Rofi seems to not “see” the shortcut I created?

I have placed a basilisk.desktop in the

/usr/share/applications

The file I placed there is:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
GenericName=Browser
Comment=Browse DRM
Exec=/home/fatboy/basilisk/basilisk-bin %u
TryExec=basilisk
Path=/home/fatboy/basilisk/
Name=Basilisk
Icon=/home/fatboy/basilisk/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Comment=Basilisk DRM Browser
GenericName=Basilisk Browser
Terminal=false

What am I missing here?

Hello @anon39737049, I am the worst person to answer your question, but I would check if " Path=/home/fatboy/basilisk/ " is the right one.
Now I am ready to be booed by the whole community, have been there already, no biggie.
Catch up later

Thanks for the suggestion. I will make doubly sure once I get home.
I extracted a tarball in my home directory and is why it’s such an “odd” location for a program.

How are you starting rofi?

In a terminal:

> rofi -show drun

is working for me; basilisk extracted to ~/temp.

You can try that command from a terminal and see if it works or gives you an error.

My bad, used my own *.desktop file.

Try this:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Comment=Browse DRM
Exec=/home/fatboy/basilisk/basilisk-bin %u
Path=/home/fatboy/basilisk/
Name=Basilisk
Icon=/home/fatboy/basilisk/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Comment=Basilisk DRM Browser
GenericName=Basilisk Browser
Terminal=false

having GenericName twice, and the TryExec line appear to be messing you up. That *desktop file is working with rofi.

This is the basilik.desktop file I created origianlly; change the path and it should work:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Basilisk
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
Exec=/opt/basilisk/basilisk-bin %u
Icon=/opt/basilisk/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;text/mml;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;

2 Likes

Hi @PackRat, thank you for the advice. I will most definitely try this and am pretty sure it will work! :slight_smile:

It’s not working and it’s driving me crazy. It shouldn’t be this hard.

I literally created a shortcut for a different app a few days before I tried making this one

Try starting basilisk from a terminal and see if there is an error. May be a corrupt download missing some library.

Did you happen to untar the download as root? You may not have the right permissions to run it if that is the case. Someone using Bunsen Labs did something like that with Firefox and couldn’t run it.