Chromium failed to launch

Your chromium/chrome or chromium-based browser may fail to start after recent updates. An error shown as,

$chromium
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: undefined symbol: hb_subset_input_set_retain_gids

According to [Solved]Chromium will not launch / Applications & Desktop Environments / Arch Linux Forums, the problem is caused by upgrade of package: harfbuzz

You need to downgrade the package to fix it, for now.

$sudo pacman -U https://archive.artixlinux.org/packages/h/harfbuzz/harfbuzz-2.9.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst https://archive.artixlinux.org/packages/h/harfbuzz-icu/harfbuzz-icu-2.9.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
2 Likes

Thanks @chroot , will keep a close watch on it for when Iridium updates

Thx for sharing @chroot

Seems not to have happened to me. Anyway, thank you for the warning.

And a lifesaver this one. After updating yesterday Iridium didn’t work anymore. Applied the fix, done :wink:

I installed Iridium on AL yesterday. It conflicted with Chromium, but it was no big deal, I just shitcanned Chromium for Iridium.

The AUR RPM package was almost 100 mbs, still way less than the f-ing 20G source lulz.

1 Like

Yes, my experience up until now with Iridium has been really good. Completely opensource also. Did the rpm from the AUR as well

1 Like

I have tried the un-Googled Chromium packages as well as the custom Palemoon’s off the AUR in the past, but those took like two hours to build, and wound up with errors. It’s just better to boot at USB of Tails or even Whonix if you’re that paranoid or a leecher of degenerate Usenet groups lulz.

Yes exactly. Thought it had to do with my hw, but that ungoogled-chromium took ages…

1 Like

The last days of my Windows usage, I stripped the entire Win 10 as much as I could via tweaks and reg hacks, and did everything by portable apps and sandboxed it all. I basically ran everything off of one file folder. I ran Windows off a file manager, that’s what I have for years. Not Explorer, a custom tweaked dual pane file manager what looked and ran like a WM.

Then I said fuck it an went back to Linux.

The portable apps while not completely secure in Windows was the better solution. In Windows.

Edit: Iridium was one of those portable apps IIRC.

1 Like