Chrome and all Electron Apps not working on new machine

Hi
On my new T16 machine none of my Electron Apps (Joplin, Skype nor Zoom) work properly (white screens, unresponsiveness, just not working although they do open)

So, after realising that Electron was based on Chrome, I installed Chromium, and then Chrome, and neither worked

I have been searching but cant find anything

Furhter, on my other machines with AL these apps are all fine - even on the T410s that I installed recently using the very same ArchLabs iso (archlabs-2023.01.20-x86_64.iso).

Even on this machine when booted into Win 11, Joplin & Zoom work.

when I run chrome in AL I get the following.

Anyone have any ideas, please?

@Peppe thanks for your ideas during the day

@cog - does chrome (google-chrome-stable ) run on your T15? (I dont use chrome normally either)

Thanks!

leigh@T16-AL ~ % google-chrome-stable 
[3992:4131:0205/212850.300497:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[3992:4131:0205/212850.300668:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[3992:4131:0205/212850.300800:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
leigh@T16-AL ~ % google-chrome-stable
[4875:4979:0205/213405.808724:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[4875:4979:0205/213405.808894:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[4875:4979:0205/213405.809052:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files

Wonder if it has to do with an update, or such, what s the version @leigh . Might have to do with it.

Was it working before !

It s your new install right !

Yes, its the new install, but all my installations are bang up to date and the T410s even used the same iso for installation

It s been so long that I haven t used Chrome/Chromium that I don t remember much of it.

Wonder if you remove Chrome/Chromium & reinstall what it might do ! Or Electron-related had an update & screwed the last install !

Sounds weird that it might have to do with hardware.

tried that, but chrome wasnt installed before - I dont use it - it was just to try to see why my electron apps dont work
I tried installing upower and starting its service but no luck - blindly bumbling around here :rofl:

lol, always something that goes bad right !

Woder if other members have the same issues.

This does get rid of the error in the terminal, but Chrome still dont work proper.
This makes me think that the problem is not to do with Upower

I do have cpupower running, but disabled and uninstalled this as well with no luck

I think I may be barking up the wrong tree with this upower thing

EDIT: this is with i3 or OpenBox

Well that sux !

I think I am getting somewhere
I found this post and appending --disable-gpu-compositing makes chrome run fine
It doesnt work with the Joplin appimage package from AUR (flag not recognised) but does work for skypeforlinux
I am now installing the following (which was my goto but now seems to take a long long time to install)

maybe I have to get rid of xf86-video-intel too?

I have no idea what I am doing :rofl:

will update:

UPDATE: that flag worked for everything except Joplin (which is what i really want to work!)

so I uninstalled xf86-video-intel and chrome and all my Electron apps work well!

BUT, then my whole Archlabs installation is messed up with monitors swapped and no bars etc
But at least I have a clue of a direction now!

i must read the Archwiki entry and investigate further

at least I am blindly bumbling along in the right direction now :rofl:

I wonder why this only happens on this new lappy?
so it is ‘hardware related’ at least in some sense?

Maybe I should be substituting the intel one for xf86-video-modesetting ?

Oh, I wasn t aware that it had to do with some firmware !

Edit; You can mark it as solved as you fixed it @leigh

Keep it on !

1 Like

This has been a consistent part of my life, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Can’t guarantee I am going in the right direction though :rofl:

1 Like

lol, welcome to the club !

1 Like

Graphics card?

Didn’t the other laptop have nvidia and intel cards in it; what does this one have?

3 Likes

@leigh i never use chrome but chromium works fine on the T15.

Honestly I prefer FF…

2 Likes

Cheers guys

@altman not quite sorted yet, but will mark as fixed when done

@Peppe :rofl: but if we think too much about the direction that we are in fact all heading in, life would be no fun (Leighfucious #279)

@PackRat exactly that!

leigh@T16-AL ~ % lspci -nn |grep  -Ei 'VGA|DISPLAY'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-UP3 GT2 [UHD Graphics] [8086:4628] (rev 0c)

Looking up 4268 on Intel GPU page:

4626, 4628, 462A, 46A0, 46A1, 46A2, 46A3, 46A6, 46A8, 46AA, 46B0, 46B1, 46B2, 46B3, 46C0, 46C1, 46C2, 46C3

Intel® UHD Graphics

Xe

Adler Lake

The ASUS had Intel & Nvidia

at least I know what to search for now, before it was just ‘electron apps problem’ :rofl:

@cog
Thanks, what GPU do you have?
I only use chromium for some sites that need it - I am a 100% FF user too

1 Like

I think I have it!

This guy has exactly the same Chrome issue with xf86-video-intel.

This post said all I need to do to change to modesetting is to uninstall xf86-video-intel

So I did that and Chrome and Electron apps all worked but my bars were not there and my monitors werent arranged properly, so I ran xrandr and saw that now my two monitors are identified by eDP-1 and HDMI-1 with the modesetting driver whereas they were eDP1 and HDMI1 previously with the Intel driver.

I simply just changed these in my xrandr command in .xprofile and my i3 config bar lines (and WS allocations etc) and …

all seems to be working :grinning:

4 Likes

Oh, tought that you got it fixed.No worries, you ll get there.

Edit; You got it done while typing ! Glad that you had it fixed !

2 Likes

thanks @altman !

1 Like