Changed shell and it gave me grub rescue!

Hej!

I have had som trouble with installing and running Archlabs on MacBook Pro 13 retina 11,1 (late 2014). It is my work computer so I have to run on external usb-drive. When I finally got a working install I was aiming to do som tweaks specified for this computer from Arch-wiki. Most of the guides are written In bash (I know some bash) and didn’t work with zsh. I followed Arch-wiki on how to switch shell but when I logged in again I couldn’t! Reboot got me to grub rescue! Is there a way to fix this? Chroot from install-image? Is there a specialized way to switch shell in Archlabs?

womp

There’s simply no way chsh did anything to grub, this would be a different issue.

That being said to change your shell is very simple

chsh $USER

It will ask you to enter which shell you want, the default is /usr/bin/zsh you want /usr/bin/bash

Regarding the system’s current state.

Yes, the best (possibly only) way to fix your system would be to arch-chroot into it from a live session.

Depending on whether the system has seperate partitions that must be mounted in the right places

For most you would do something like:

# first mount the main root partition
mount /dev/YOUR_ROOT_PARTITION /mnt

PLEASE READ: you need to mount the boot part in the right location if at all, the best way to do that is to read your /etc/fstab to see where your system wants it mounted. Use

# check your fstab with cat
cat /mnt/etc/fstab

# Below is my fstab as a visual example

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# <file system>                          <mount point>   <type>    <options>       <dump> <pass>

# /dev/sda2
UUID=3A7B-175A                            /boot/efi       vfat   defaults,noatime    0      2
#  This is my boot partition              ^^^^^^^^ THIS is where you want to mount it in /mnt

If you only have one partition and no boot partition then you can skip this, otherwise
now we know where to mount it

# mount the boot partition
mount /dev/YOUR_BOOT_PARTITION /mnt/PATH_FROM_FSTAB_ABOVE

Now you can just chroot into the system

arch-chroot /mnt

# probably just reinstall grub and kernel then rebuild everything
pacman -S grub linux
grub-install
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
mkinitcpio -p linux

# last thing, exit the chroot.. DON'T forget this like I almost did :P
exit

This should fix most common boot issues with standard installs

Cheers

1 Like

Thank you very much for this good answer! I will try this in the morning!

komp

1 Like

Hi again!
Having trouble again! Someting must have gone wrong during install because I couldn’t mount partitions and chroot! I did a reformat of the external drive and reinstalled. I installed xfce and lightdm as an addition to openbox but I had to disable lightdm to be able to get into openbox (default). Polybar will not start and I get core dumped! I can load tint2 but it looks a bit strange. jgmenu is fine and I have time to the right, but I have 4 icons with filemanager!? Where do I find info about the problem with polybar?

womp

Yes! Here again! This time with some good results. I haven’t got polybar to work but I use xfce4-panel instead. Works very well. I have also installed linux-macbook-kernel that made a whole lotta difference! Using libinput instead of synaptics made trackpad easier to handle.
Even though I have had som issues with installation I must say that Archlabs installer is very very good and very very stable!! If I may make a suggestion I think it’s better to write a guide about “how to run Archlabs with a second DE or VM” instead of the al-hello-script. Pamac-aur should be installed by default so it’s easy for newcomers to install software and drivers.

I really like Archlabs and this community!

Matter is solved for now.

womp