Change bundled East Asian font

Hi thanks for creating this great iso! I just found the default east asian font is wqy_zenhei, can we change this to noto CJK fonts instead?

wqy_zenhei is a very ugly font, most fonts from wqy were designed by constructing a stroke database then apply different algorithm to different font styles to automatically generate glyphs. Theoretically this is great, but in reality you don’t get the traditional shape for each glyph, to achieve a usable result, you still need lots of tweaks to the shape of each glyph, and wqy_zenhei does not have enough tweaks.

I suggest we include noto-fonts-cjk instead, which has reasonable glyph shapes, and the same unicode code point has different shape variants for China,Taiwan,Korea,Japan.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll make the change

Thanks for your input, I really had no idea what to go for (being an english speaker) so this is appreciated

1 Like

Ok, after trying it out and seeing the size of the package we have to sadly decline, noto-fonts-cjk takes over 250M on an iso that’s only 960M (thats over 25% on just one package!!), putting us up around 1.2G.

We don’t feel this is worth it, considering it is an easy post-install.

Any other eastern font packages that maybe aren’t so large?

1 Like

For a small CJK font, you can use wqy-microhei (5MB), or DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf and DroidSansJapanese.ttf from ttf-droid.

wqy-microhei is a fork of an earlier version of DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf, but later more glyphs were released to DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf so the latter has better coverage, but those extra glyphs are rarely used and most of the native speakers don’t understand them.

I think DroidSansJapanese.ttf is the Japanese variant of a smaller group of CJK characters, but due to the design of Unicode standard they share same code points with similar glyphs in DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf. To actually make it used you have to adjust some fontconfig settings to assign Japanese (ja) a higher precedence than Chinese (zh), or maybe it’s already the default. You can’t figure out a piece of Unicode text is Japanese or Chinese since the code points can be exactly same, so a default has to be picked.

If you don’t want to include ttf-droid which also contains non-CJK fonts, or create new packages just for DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf and DroidSansJapanese.ttf, then I would suggest we use wqy-microhei. East asian users should be able to recognze non-native variants with the help of some contexts.

2 Likes

Thanks for offering so many suggestions, I think we’ll include ttf-droid and see how that works

Can the noto-cjk be added to the welcome script - with a notation about it’s size?

I think vlgothic is the other font that works well for east Asian languages, and the Hind font handles Indian/Sanskrit.

Yea that’s totally doable, I’m just starting to feel like people are too reliant on al-hello, and when/if things do go wrong they have no clue what to do or how to backtrack. Stuff like font package install are a shitty example but you probably understand :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like