Cd/dvd rom not found

Hi Best Forum!

I have a typical “oldtimer” problem!

My Archlabs system can not find/use the cd/dvd unit in this HP-probook laptop.
I started with using Asunder. It gave "error: couln’t open /dev/sr0.
I changed to sg0 (in prefs) and same result.
dmesg | grep CD-ROM gave nothing
dmesg | grep DVD-ROM gave nothing
cdrecord dev=/dev/sr0 -checkdrive gave “cdrecord: File or catalogue not found. Cannot open ‘/dev/sr0’. Cannot open or use SCSI driver”
cdrecord dev=/dev/sg0 -checkdrive gave “Device seems to be: Generic CCS Disk.
cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD/BD-Drive found on this target”
cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.02a09 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2016 Joerg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.36
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
scsibus0:
   0,0,0	  0) 'ATA     ' 'CT480BX500SSD1  ' 'R022' Disk
   0,1,0	  1) *
   0,2,0	  2) *
   0,3,0	  3) *
   0,4,0	  4) *
   0,5,0	  5) *
   0,6,0	  6) *
   0,7,0	  7) *

I did also do “cdrecord dev=help” and it gave a long answer. The thing that caught my eye was this:
“Open via UNIX device: not supported”

Does that mean I have an “all-windows” unit that I have to flash to use in Linux?

Thankful for hints!!

womp

Wonder if it can be of any help to you @womp . Never know.

Edit: Might miss some drivers also in there.

Can you access/see the dvd drive after booting the usb (but before install)? It’s a live cli environment so cli tools should work.

Can you access the dvd from other live sessions like SharpBang or BunsenLabs?

1 Like

Hi and thanks for suggestions!!
I am trying to rip a music-cd with backgrounds I have made myself.
I have found out that I do not have /dev/sr0 where cd-dvd usually show up. (I have /dev/sg0). CD-DVD does not show up in any gui-apps.

womp

1 Like

That s weird.Wonder what s doing it, it was maybe done on the iso install itself.

Edit: I would try to do as @PackRat suggested in the above post & see what it does.

1 Like

I haven’t used optical media in so long, that the Superdrive on my iMac died ages ago, and I never had missed it lol. I have more burned shite than a forest in California from back in the day. Unetbootin was like a revelation lulz.

@womp: can we see your journal?

journalctl -b | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

^ That will upload the output of journalctl -b to a pastebin and output a URL which can be posted here.

I do actually have a laptop with a DVD drive but it’s running Debian atm so I’m not sure how it works with Arch.

1 Like

Yes well it’s kind of solved now!

I forgot one valid option: bios, and thanks to @PackRat (again) I did put Archlabs on an usb to boot from that. I had troubles booting from the usb. Could not change anything in bios to be able to have usb as boot-option! I ended up downgrading the bios! Now cd-dvd shows in Thunar.

Thank you guys!!

womp

1 Like

Glad that you got it to work @womp

Props to @PackRat @Head_on_a_Stick

1 Like

What exactly did you do here?

Hi!
In bios I tried to change boot order but couldn’t. Found it strange. Tried several times. Looked for a bios update but found “urgent downgrade” instead. Applied but was still not able to change boot options. The positive side-effect was that cd-dvd became available. The computer is 6 years old and is working fine except for bios.

womp