Can't update Archlabs - AL repo configs?

Good Day,
I am trying to update my AL install, but it seems that existing config files are creating issues? Must I remove them then update?

Any ideas @Dobbie03 @natemaia?

Packages (11) archlabs-common-1.3.7-2  archlabs-icons-1.2-2  archlabs-keyring-2018.12.13-1
              archlabs-kickshaw-0.6.4-3  archlabs-networkmanager-dmenu-58.2-2  archlabs-paranoid-1.2-2
              archlabs-pipemenus-2.6.30-1  archlabs-polybar-3.2.1-3  archlabs-skippy-xd-1.0-2
              archlabs-themes-1.5.3-1  archlabs-wallpapers-1.5.2-1

Total Installed Size:  72.59 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.04 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(11/11) checking keys in keyring                                     [--------------------------------------] 100%
(11/11) checking package integrity                                   [--------------------------------------] 100%
(11/11) loading package files                                        [--------------------------------------] 100%
(11/11) checking for file conflicts                                  [--------------------------------------] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
archlabs-polybar: /etc/skel/.config/polybar/config exists in filesystem
archlabs-polybar: /etc/skel/.config/polybar/master.conf exists in filesystem
archlabs-polybar: /etc/skel/.config/polybar/modules.conf exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Yea I would.

I could make the package backup the conflicting files, but then we’d have .pacsave files to deal with.

To avoid the conflicts you can pacman -R archlabs-user-skel this package has been split up into multiple packages for each wm/de and isn’t needed if you aren’t going to create more users.

OB Polybar oddities in latest release

You guys are great. I had this problem today and here’s the answer already. Didn’t even know what a user-skel was. Thanks.

1 Like

I could not find the user-skel package. I removed the old configs and now my polybar won’t start upon reboot.

However, Polybar launches when I execute this in a terminal

polybar openbox-bar &

However, when I added the above command to the autostart menu, I do get polybar to run. Also, now I am constantly nagged with the following and my rofi/drun won’t show up:

polybar

I’m not sure what you mean here, did you run the command I mentioned above to remove it?

To be very clear here, none of the configs in the skel packages are used AFTER install, they are copied to your user’s /home/ and are never touched again, the skel packages hold files for creating NEW users from /etc/skel

Apologies about the polybar issue, a number of scripts that were previously included in the pipemenus package but were not pipemenus themselves are now in archlabs-scripts, you should install this.

pacman -S archlabs-scripts

To simplify things you can do

pacman -S archlabs

This will install everything grouped together

When I try to install archlabs-scripts, I get the following message

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.Xresources exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/compton.conf exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/dunst/dunstrc exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/geany/colorschemes/archlabs-dark.conf exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/geany/colorschemes/archlabs-light.conf exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/geany/geany.conf exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/gsimplecal/config exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/networkmanager-dmenu/config.ini exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/nitrogen/bg-saved.cfg exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/nitrogen/nitrogen.cfg exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.gtkrc-2.0 exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.xinitrc exists in filesystem
archlabs-skel-base: /etc/skel/.xprofile exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I got the same lines and more.

Have you removed this package?

archlabs-user-skel

If you did remove it and the conflicts are still occuring then my mistake, regardless

rm -rf /etc/skel

Hi Nate,
The archlabs-users-skel was indeed uninstalled.

I performed the sudo rm -rf /etc/skel/ which made the consequential update possible. I then rebooted and all is well. Thanks Nate!
Sorry about the noobness earlier.

1 Like
Bugs compositor

No problemo sir, I just wanted to know if the conflicting files were a part of that package.

Thanks for the update, cheers

1 Like

In your case removing the conflicting packages should resolve the update.

pacman -R archlabs-user-skel archlabs-pipemenus archlabs-oblogout

Then proceed to update and install any packages you might want

pacman -Syyu
pacman -S archlabs archlabs-oblogout archlabs-pipemenus
1 Like

Thanks this works for me.

I managed to update via pacli. If I remember correctly it recognized archlabs-user-skel as a conflicting package and removed it automatically. After an update and reboot drun is gone and I’m getting pipe-menu errors from the openbox.
I’ve run pacli with option 13 (Fix errors) and removed /etc/skel.

Now, probably because of the pacli fixes, I’m getting a PGP errors if I try to install anything from the archlabs.
The errors looks like that:

error: archlabs-wallpapers: signature from “Nathaniel Maia <Nathaniel’s email>” is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlabs-wallpapers-1.5.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).

Looks like I messed it up… Anyone have an idea how to make it work again?

This thread might give you a hand:

So great… this thread nailed solutions to some problems I was having. What a fantastic resource.

It is appreciated.

3 Likes