Can't install Archlabs on a Thinkpad T430

I’ve tried flashing the USB drive again and again, using the current release and a previous one to no avail.
Whenever I try and run the installer, it boots directly into desktop environment and I’ve no clue why it does this. The SSD inside of the T430 is completely empty as well. What am I doing wrong here? I’ve tried flashing it with Gparted aan deepin. The funny thing is, when running the installer with Speech Mode it DOES boot into command line instead of to desktop, but I’m unable to install XFCE4 with that. Please, I’ve tried everything.

When you boot the iso it boots up and starts the dk window manager.

Launch xterm with “windows key” + Enter

Run the installer from the xterm.

installer
4 Likes

You’re a saviour!!
However, XFCE4 is still not showing up in the sessions section, what’s going on here?

It’s no longer available.

You can install it at the end when the installer asks if you want to run a post install comnand. You can use pacman to install xfce4 there.

Or you can install xfce4 after the installer finishes and reboots.

Either way, it will not be a customized desktop.

1 Like

How come it is no longer available?
Sorry for all the questions but how would I go about installing it in the post install command prompt with all the extra packages etc like it used to be our of the box? Many thanks!

It was causing too many package conflicts and incompatibilities having both window managers and desktop environments available.

No screenshot unfortunately, but the last question of the installer when it asks if you want to run a command, if you answer “yes”, a command line box will come up. You can enter your command there:

pacman -S package_name1 package_name2 ...

to install packages that are not available in the installer.

I actually use it to install caja and some of the other mate desktop tools.

2 Likes

Would XFCE4-goodies be enough then?

So everything finished… I’m getting an error now.

I think so. xfce4 and xfce4-goodies should get you most of the xfce4 desktop.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Archlabs on a couple of laptops and my main PC, everything works perfectly well with XFCE4. How can I get XFCE4 desktop environment to automatically launch at start though?

Looks like you need some broadcom (brcm) firmware.

That may be in the AUR. The installer does not interact with the AUR. ArchLabs does have a home-grown AUR helper - baph.

See if that package is in the AUR then:

baph -i package

to install it.

1 Like

The bluetooth is alright, since I don’t really use it anyway.
How would I go about XFCE4 getting launched on start like it used to after every install?

Edit the ~/.xinitrc file

2 Likes

Is there any in depth guide about doing this? I’m alright with a terminal once I have a desktop environment but now I’m not even able to use the sudo command.

What’s the error message?

That link for editing the .xinitrc is from the ArchWiki - ArchLabs is pretty much vanilla Arch so that will be your in-depth guide.

1 Like

It’s okay, I’m done for today messing with all of this stuff. I installed openbox instead, it’s a laptop my girlfriend will be using upstairs to use on her TV. Openbox looks pretty similair to XFCE as well, so I don’t think it’s a huge deal.

Is XFCE ever coming back, or is openbox now the best equivalent? Thanks again for all the help!

Probably not, and yes.

1 Like

That s too bad, loved XFCE , but as anything else, updates/upgrades left & right as well as stuff not available or maintained anymore aso screwed that up also.

Hey thank you for all the info!
One more question though, what’s the easiest way to install the pamac-aur GUI?
I remember I always used a single line and it was installed but can’t find it anymore.

The pamac-aur package tends to crash and cause other issues with ArchLabs.

For using the AUR, baph is already installed, and some users like yay.

If you really need to have pamac-aur, you can install it or any other AUR package with baph.

5 Likes