Can't extend GParted partition with unallocated space

Hello, I am currently running ArchLabs alongside with Windows 10. However, as AL is my main drive now, I unallocated some space from Windows. Now I want to give this free space to Linux, However, GParted is not letting me do this. Here is a screenshot of my current setup (sda4 = W10, sda5 = ArchLabs).

I heard that some files are immovable (for instance the boot folder), maybe this might be the problem. How can I extend sda5 without breaking my current AL?

i dont think its safe to resize ext4 root partitions without having to manually update uuid later (dunno how that works, i never needed to resize root before)

To extend, without manual intervention, requires that the extra space be located at the end of the partition you wish to extend. In your case /dev/sda4, has the free space between it, and /dev/sda5 is your active partition. This doesn’t work, and would require manual intervention which can lead to a unbootable system.

If the free space was on at the end of /dev/sda5, which is your active partition, then the resize of the partition is very simple.

1 Like

AFAIK it’ll change your uuid (caus you’ll have to move the partition and then extend it), thus, you might need to achieve this thanks to a live environment, and then update your fstab. IDK if there is another place where it needs to be updated as well tho.

@MuradTroll As others have already alluded to, you’ve literally boxed yourself in. If it were my system, I’d save my configs and wipe everything east of Win10. Then make one extended partition, divided by separate / and home partitions for AL -or- because you wish to keep Win10, create one partition for AL and two partitions for backup and media shares.

I resolved this issue by taking a risk. Here are the steps I took to combine them:
NOTICE: This worked on my system, it does NOT automatically mean that it also works for your system.

1. Backup important files (/home directory and friends)
  2. Boot from ArchLabs-Live (not your installed system but the live environment I had on my stick, from which you installed the ArchLabs static system on your PC)
  3. Run GParted
  4. Right click on Linux partition, select “Move/Resize”
  5. Move Linux partition to far to the left and extend it far to the right (by using the right arrow marker)
  6. Read and accept error message.
  7. Let GParted do the rest and reboot.

Obviously I couldn’t move/resize the partition on my running system, since all important files were in use and couldn’t be moved that easily. Luckily the live environment fixed it for me, and luckily I didn’t have to edit the fstab file and do some UUID magic. However, as said, that was on my system, reproducing those exact steps might also lead to data loss and a broken system on other PCs. GParted will warn you beforehand that you will move the /boot folder and this usually leads to problems, I will most likely not do this again.

Finishing Screenshot

@MuradTroll Although I’m happy you were able to resolve your particular issue, I’m going to (perhaps temporarily) un-mark it as a solution until such time other moderators and administration can collectively make a judgement for two reasons.

1. A drive’s architecture is really something best configured with forethought not afterthought.

2. More importantly, what miraculously appears to have worked in your situation, will almost undoubtedly not work for another user and having this associated in help & support as the ‘solution’, doesn’t seem to be in the best interests of ArchLabs (imo).

[EDIT}

@MuradTroll After receiving input from admin and mod staff, I believe we generally feel it better to not mark this as being the solution best advisable for most users of ArchLabs. We greatly appreciate the honest effort you made to help others and fully encourage your further input within the community :slight_smile:

Thanks

2 Likes

if you happen to reinstaller at later time, i would rather make root smaller size and rest to home (if you save stuff into home)

i often give my root partition 30-40gigs, without separate home, thats because i have separate partitions to store other files and **** i need.

Yes, that is true indeed. But to my defense, I stated that backups are crucial. Also the alternative solution would be to wipe everything right from Windows (and reinstall ArchLabs and restore from backup). If GParted would break something during the process, I would have had to do a reinstall anyway, so this might save the extra time. I took the information from

and some other websites. But you are right, my file structure was simple and I didn’t use swap. There might be some factors that would have broken my system if they were active, hence this is not a general solution, but merely an alternative to try before wiping the system anyways.

1 Like